Sunday, April 17, 2016

Costello Music - the Fratellis



So a few months back I was visiting my sister in Ohio after interviewing at her school. Of course the free lodging had it's caveats, one of which being I had to deep clean her apartment while she was out. Before leaving she asked me if I had heard the Fratellis and put on a couple songs from Costello music. I realized very quickly that I had heard songs like Henrietta and Chelsea Dagger before, but was pleasantly surprised and hooked by the rest of the album. 


I honestly can't say that there is a song that I don't like on this album, my favorites being "Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night" and "Baby Fratelli". The whole album feels like a nonstop rush of excitement and makes you want to sing along loudly as you drive home from work. At any point in a playlist, you can find yourself thumbing along or joining in on the catchy chorus. However, this works both ways. Every song follows the same formula with some of the tracks blending in to each other. While I do appreciate how seamless it can feel , I found myself having no clue which songs I was listening to on my first couple rounds. On top of that, the album is a quick 45 minute listen, and with the songs sounding kind of the same, it goes by almost too quickly. I don't get the feel for much of a story or message with this album, but I am not sure that this album aims to be like that at all. I will say that this album has made me more interested in checking out their newer music though. Overall if you are looking for some simple rock to get lost in, this isn't a bad place to start.  3.5/5

here's the download (was lazy on the upload so the files aren't labeled. They songs are in their American release order).

No comments:

Post a Comment