Friday, April 8, 2016

Grimes - Visions (2012) & Felt - The Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories (1984)

I'm going to break from convention for my turn because I could not decide between the two albums that I wanted to share, so, (since Zena didn't go last week and because I just kinda want to) I'm posting both albums.  Also, we just had a baby a couple months back and my ability to make coherent decisions/write good is at an all time low, so just bare with me, ok?

Album the first!

Grimes - Visions (2012)




I was first acquainted with Grimes from her track "Genesis" which was featured in the film Her.  I dug it quite a bit and found out that hey, her first album, Geidi Primes, is about Dune! (my favorite book of all time!).  An entire album with songs about sandworms, facedancers and Sardukar!?  Yes, please!  I totally would have posted that album but I can't seem to find it anywhere and I didn't want to post a link to Spotify.



Expelled from medical school in Montreal for only showing up for the exams because of her concentration on her experimental music, she struck me as something of a badass. The album Visions cemented that for me with the track Oblivion, which honestly I could just listen to on a loop for a week straight without getting bored by it.

She has a more recent album, Art Angels, which I had thought about posting out of convention, but it's just too poppy for me and I figured the group had a better chance of receiving this one well.  >x<

You can dance to it and not feel terrible about yourself for doing so.

File this one under Canadian/Electronic/Synthpop/Freaky

4/5

Felt - The Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories (1984)

Album the second!

I wish I could say that I had been listening to Felt for ages and ages and that they were a huge influence on my musical upbringing, but the truth is I'd never heard of them until 6 months ago.  I had been going through a pretty steady Post-Punk phase and a friend of mine emailed me and mentioned a couple bands that I need to check out.  Felt was one of them.



I fell in love with Felt immediately.  Fun fact: They named their band after a curious inflection of the single word 'felt' in the song Venus by the legendary Post-Punk group Television on their also legendary album Marquee Moon (1977), which struck me as simultaneously ludicrous and endearing.



 Also, Felt goes down in history as being one of the key influences of Stuart Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian.

The Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories is their 3rd album.You can hear Television's influence on them in every song, as well as significant overlap with the jangle pop of R.E.M. It's infectious and enjoyable and it's one of those albums that you just can't believe has existed on this planet and you've never heard it before. >x<




File this one under: English/Post Punk/Jangle Pop/Street Cred

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment