Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free

In the latest musooklub ramblings, Raman lumped me in with the rockers. So I figured I'd best don my skinny jeans, pound a few lagers, and a do him proud with another solid rock contribution.

The Drones are an Australian band from Perth (the West coast) that fall somewhere between punk and indie rock. They're not especially well known or popular, which is why they've been around for nearly twenty years and I only discovered them a few months back. A mate was appalled to find out that I'd never heard of them so he made me a mix tape with a selection from their six studio albums.

Feelin Kinda Free is their latest album, released only a few days ago. In many ways it is a new direction for the band (which I can conclude based on my now solid mixtape-based knowledge of their back catalogue). It's a bit more produced and controlled. But there is no escaping front man Gareth Liddiard's distinctive voice and lyrical style.


Links: Google Music Spotify

I think it's too early to pick out favourites for me, but so far I'm enjoying Taman Shud (track 2), which seems to be an exploration of all things worth loving/hating about Australia, and To Think That I Once Loved You. However, the nature of their songs, long and verbose, usually means that it takes me more than a few listens to find the tracks that stick with me.

For those of you after a truly West Australian experience, I recommend their track Shark Fin Blues. It's probably their most well-known track and sums up their style and music to date.


1 comment:

  1. since there was no DL link posted - if i choose to only get ONE album by them, should it be the newer or older one (e.g. which is your recommended album for the week)?

    ReplyDelete