Monday, March 14, 2016

New Order - Low Life (1985)

There was a guy, called Ian Curtis, who died at 23...

I am not a fan of electronic music and I have never been much attracted by the 80's Manchester electronic scene. I am much more into The Smiths and his lead singer who now wants to be mayor of London. Many years ago, I had watched 24-hour party people, but I was totally an ignorant of this kind of music and did not fully understand it. Then, 10 years ago, they released Control, the movie about the life Ian Curtis. I did not care.

A few weeks ago, the 24-year old who works with us, told me, you should really give a try to New Order, although I know you don't like much electronic music.

- Try Low Life, he said. <-- DOWNLOAD LINK
 

And, for once, the 24-year old guy was right... I put the song in my iPhone and while I was walking in the streets of Brooklyn, listening to Sunrise (track #4), I was completely amazed. I thought: This is FUCKING GREAT!!!

So, here are a few words, about Joy Division and New Order, trying to summarize the wikipedia articles.

Joy Division was founded in 1976, that is 40 years ago, in Salford, Greater Manchester, by Ian Curtis, singer, Sumner, keyboardist, Hook and Morris. Some where Ex Sex Pistols, playing post-punk music, did 2 albums, and then, Curtis committed suicide, after 2 albums, 4 years later. I must definitely watch Control! Love will tear us apart was one of their most famous songs.

The remaining members decided to found New Order, in 1980. They produced many hits, among the, the ultra famous, Blue Monday, in 1983.

In this opus, Low Life, released in 1985, my 3 favorite songs are:
- Sunrise, with an amazing instrumental crescendo
- Subculture, from which the Pet Shop Boys have taken a major part of their musical influence
- Elegia, glum and beautiful.

Since then, the band split, got together again, members quit, and the band reunited. They will be playing this summer in many music festivals.

It is a late discovery for me, but I am happy to be still dazed at some 80's music.I hope you will enjoy it, as much as I did.





1 comment:

  1. Never to late! New Order is and always will be superior to Joy Division imho. - 4/5

    ReplyDelete