Glass Animals is a band from Oxford in the UK and Zaba was their debut album (2014). They pretty much came out of nowhere that year and immediately starting touring on some of the big festivals worldwide (Coachella, Lola, etc.). Thanks to Wikipedia while looking things up for this article, I discovered they were a produced by a guy who has produced songs for Adele, Coldplay or Florence and the Machines. This explains the very rapid exposure these guys got considering the lead singer was studying neuroscience two years before recording this.
I was very flattered to be put into the group of people who listen to weird music by Raman and this might be no exception to it. This album is a real experience as it feels a bit like an endless dreamy but also dark atmosphere. You will find some jazz, trance or hip-hop influences in there with deep electronics. and a very particular voice.
It is really immersive as you get into a very specific vibe or mood for the entire 11 songs. Some might say it lacks creativity or variety due to that, as you can get fully lost between trackss, but it makes me appreciate the consistency of this album and to me it is one of its main strengths as you plunge into a very "trippy" vibe.
As such, it's tough to isolate a few specific tracks although some will stand out. I personally enjoy Flip, Black Mambo, Goey, Walla Walla or Hazey very much.
I would recommend listening to this more in the early part of the evening with a glass in one hand but I also appreciate it at work if I need to focus on a specific thing for an hour or two.
I am actually curious to get some comments here to get some opinions so feel free to drop a note, even if it is to say this was the worst hour of your life :)
To be listened to here.
Certainly not the worst hour of my life. I quite liked it, actually. I think it helped that the first time I listened to it, I was a whacked out on oxycodon following an unfortunate mtb adventure.
ReplyDelete