Cut Copy, In Ghost Colours
In Ghost Colours is in my top 3 albums of all time. Cut Copy has a cool electro/synth/pop/rock sound. The songs are earworms, but in the best possible way - breezy, catchy, and upbeat with little twists to make them special.
Quick side story... My husband and I found out Cut Copy was coming to Western Michigan a few years ago, about 45 minutes from where we lived. Their show was to be held at a college auditorium. Now maybe it is because I went to Ohio State, or maybe because Cut Copy is a pretty big band (having played to crowds of 50K at Coachella, Lollapalooza, Glastonbury, etc.) - but I figured all typical big show protocol was in order. Arriving early to get in line, find our seats, etc.
Well we show up about an hour before the show to a tiny, closed auditorium. We weren't even sure it was the right place, so after walking around outside we find a guy and try to figure out if we are in the right place. As it turns out he is one of the the opening acts! (Ernest Green, aka Washed Out - another great artist for a future musooklub post) He let's us in and chats with us while he sets up his folding table of CDs/t-shirts etc.
So Bob and I are the first ones in the "auditorium", which holds about 300 people. We sit in the front row, and slowly the place fills up. Did I mention this is at a very Christian college? So everyone is as clean cut and polite as can be.
Then the best part begins - the adorable 60 year old events director of the school comes out and introduces Cut Copy - and brings them on stage for a question and answer session! It was so very high school, with the band struggling to open their folding chairs, the broken mic and the events director prodding the students to ask questions. I loved that the band had bemused smiles on their faces the whole time, loving the experience.
Then they start to play and finally the crowd gets into it and begins to dance. Of course Bob and I were right there in front of them, the two oldest people dancing the hardest. I could touch their shoes (and did, don't judge)! They sweated on me! Lots of eye contact was made, there were a few awesome shared smiles there... It was fantastic.
Anyway, back to the album, it always brings a smile to my face. Songs like "Lights & Music" and "Hearts on Fire" always get me on my feet, belting out the chorus with joy. When I listen to Cut Copy I feel like I should be driving on a warm summer night on my way out to party with friends. Hope it brings you a few minutes of warmth as we start into the coldest part of winter!
Zena

wow. a blast from the past. here's how i know you've been running a mk for too long - when albums start to show up more than once (an from another charming indian lady on the west coast)! first the Beach Boys, and now Cut Copy, lol.
ReplyDeletehttp://musooklub.blogspot.com/2014/03/cut-copy-in-ghost-colors.html
regardless, still a solid album to start the week. 4/5 for me (though i'm pretty sure they'd be a five if i saw them in a small Christian college auditorium). one of the little things i've grown to love about this album is the transitions between tracks. segues matter people!
thanks Zena!
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteGo Bucks!
ReplyDelete