Hey everybody, I'm Amitosh and I'm currently living in Wisconsin working in the clinical trial & medical billing field. As riveting as that sounds, I thought I'd share with you Wolfmother's self titled debut album.
Being born in '92, I grew up around some amazing music. I actually have my my older brother Raj and my adopted older brother Raman to thank for this. Raman would make mix tapes for my brother that I would end up listening to as Raj would pick me up from school. Whether or not it was the best call to quiz a 5 yr old on Guns N' Roses song lyrics is besides the point; this was my foundation for my love of rock. I went on from that age horribly mangling the words to Paradise City, but still humming the tune for years. Around 2000, my family moved to Maryland while my brothers were in college. This led to a long hiatus in my musical exposure apart from whatever was on the radio.
Music has always been something I wanted to get in to, but growing up in a household that thinks you can get viruses from watching youtube videos has always made that difficult.
Having enough of their technophobic bs (and having our desktop crash all the time) I decided to buy a fancy-pants Mac and avoid the whole youtube virus scare when I went to college. Looking back, a firewall would have been nicer on my wallet, but in the grand overview of mistakes I've made since then, I'll let that one slide.
But how does all of that get us to why you should give this album a listen?
Well I found this album in my first year of college along with my some closest friends. One of my best friends introduced me to this album and pretty much gave me the jumpstart I needed to get back in to new music. He set me up with a bunch of different bands like The Arctic Monkeys, The Offspring, Foxygen, and a bunch of others, but something about Wolfmother really clicked with me.
I've never been great at nailing the perfect description of music, but whenever I listen to the album I always find myself jamming along somehow and just general freedom. The lyrics are reflective at parts and even hit a somber parts like the beginning of "Mind's Eye" and "Tales from the Forest of Gnomes", but by the time the sweet hooks come in, it just becomes so much fun and it picks your spirits right back up.
It's most evident in tracks like "Woman" and "Where Eagles have Been" (my personal favorite), but you can definitely hear the homages to Led Zeppelin in the foundation of Wolfmother's music. In the same vein, they do an incredible job in telling a fantasy-esque story at times with both their words and their music. I can't say I love every single song on the album, but even the few that aren't excellent for me still grow on me as the song plays. Even as I was writing, I found myself getting lost in a song that I had initially decided to only half listen to.
(Un)fortunately that's all the ramblings I can give about this great album at this time. Give it a listen, and I hope you like what you hear. This album is a solid 4.5/5 for me and still one of my favorites in my entire library.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41223185/Wolfmother.zip

Arguably one of the best NEW bands of 2005 (esp given the context of others that year). Definitely a long time favorite of mine ("Joker and the thief" is an amazing quick power ballad)
ReplyDeleteNormally I would give such excellebnce a 5/5, but you know those awesome guitar shreds? I was shocked to learn they are done on a keyboard (or at least they were when I saw them live the following year). Lazy Aussie teenagers...
4.5
Welcome to the club, Amitosh! Solid first post. 4/5 for Wolfmother.
ReplyDeleteWelcome Amitosh! And nice choice out of the starting blocks!
ReplyDeleteI recently did a couple of gigs with a dude that was the drummer from Wolfmother for like five minutes. According to the internet they're a difficult bunch (*cough* front man's a dick *cough*) so they've been through quite a few drummers!
Doesn't detract from this album though - rip snorter from start to end.