Thursday, June 4, 2015

Ryley Walker - Primrose Green



The moment I became inducted into the Musooklub, I knew exactly what album I was going to write about first, and the moment I first heard this album, I knew it would become my favorite of 2015. 

I had the pleasure of first discovering Ryley Walker live, which I'm sure all you Musooklubers would agree, is the best way to discover any musician. Initially, I nearly pinched myself to make sure I hadn't teleported to 1970 to find myself in front of the spellbinding Tim Buckley, mid-Starsailor height. I couldn't get over how similar the two sound, and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. 

Primrose Green is a psych-folk(+jazz+blues) time machine. 

For Fahey-school fingerpickin fans who have a sweetspot in their heart for Van Morrison's laid back trippiness and the like, do yourself a favor: pick up this album and give yourself some time to sink into the trance. The songs of Primrose Green may be unmistakably set in the deep south, but fans of the experimental Chicago jazz scene will certainly appreciate the wandering, improvisational vibraphone and double-bass sounds laced throughout this record, making them feel right at home. 

Where others are carving out new sounds in the world of today's psychedelia, Ryley is giving us the gift of repaving a long, strange trip right back to its origins. Embrace your inner-hippie, twist one up, and enjoy. 

4 comments:

  1. I like it ... just OK.
    Ryley Walker is between Van Morrison (who I enjoy listening from time to time) and Beck (who I don't like). Pleasant but does not stands out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - pleasant but nothing for me to latch onto.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the first half of the album, up to On the Banks of the Old Kishwaukee, but I wasn't particularly fussed with the last four tracks. I particularly enjoyed the first two, Primose Green and Summer Dress, for me they promised more than the album delivered. First half 4.0, second half 3.0 for an average score of 3.5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this album - AM enjoying this album. Can always tell because it takes me a few listens to decide what to score it. Going a solid 4 from me.

    ReplyDelete