Monday, June 15, 2015

Shamir - Ratchet


I first heard of Shamir on NPR. They were comparing the singing of an artist to Michael Jackson and Nina Simone. I was very skeptical to say the least. Then they played some of his songs from previous albums. He has amazing control across his range.

So I wanted to give it a listen to review for the klub, but forgot to buy it before leaving on the vacation I'm currently on. I needed to post an album I already had, so I was going to post my favorite hip hop album of last year, "The Pinkprint" by Nicki Minaj. Raman spared the crowd from that pop goodness for at least one more week by challenging me to review "Ratchet" this week.

I don't listen to much electronic music. That genre more than others will challenge typical keys and melodies in modern music. This albums is very accessible for non-electronic fans due to Shamir's voice. He does a great job of reflecting the production of each track, however he never is subordinate to the instrumental. His voice feels as necessary as the snare on each song. His lyrics also speak as sophomoric as a typical 20 year old, and are very much authentically him.

I feel guilty that my favorite song is the lead single "On the Regular" because as a rap, it doesn't make full use of his voice. "Call It Off" and "Hot Mess" are my favorite tracks to dance to. "Vegas" and "Demon" are two tracks that highlight his vocal skills.

I gave Ratchet a 5. There isn't much more I ask for in an album.

Link to album

https://app.box.com/s/k5f6y3rj5i787qzbegshcetgpsxgpsbu

1 comment:

  1. When it started, I thought I was going to hate it, let alone be able to work to it. But it blended into a really great mood for my Tuesday afternoon. Kept me alert and head-boppy without being distracted.

    "On the Regular" is definitely my favorite track, love the line, "Don't try me, I'm not a free sample".

    Also a big fan of "Demon" and "Youth".

    That being said, I don't think it's a GREAT album. Pretty hit and miss track-wise. Heard wisps of MIA, Dizzee Rascal, Chet Faker at times.

    ReplyDelete