Sunday, May 31, 2015

Blur - The Magic Whip


Like many people who grew up in Europe in the 1990s, I have a special place in my heart for the bands and standard-bearers of the britpop era. While some of them, like Richard Ashcroft from The Verve and Brett Anderson from Suede, are heroes of the times past, Damon Albarn, the frontman of Blur, has not ceased to impress me with his ability to reinvent himself over the past two decades. A Renaissance man in the era of auto-tune and Swedish DJ mafia, he created a virtual band which is more like an art project (Gorillaz), made a record with Mali musicians, branched out into another music endeavor (The Good, The Bad and The Queen), and of all things, wrote and produced two operas (Monkey Journey to the West and Dr. Dee). He has covered such a wide range of music expression through his projects that I was very eager to see to what extent it would influence the new Blur album.

As I was listening to "The Magic Whip", I encountered 3 types of songs, almost like 3 chapters of a book. The opening track, Lonesome Street, as well as Go Out and I Broadcast feel like they were taken straight out from any album Blur produced from 1991 to 2003. I do not mind a whiff of feel good nostalgia, but I would say, do not expect these songs to tell you anything new. Listening to them felt pleasing, but not quite satisfying.

The next "chapter", however, made a lasting impression on me. I was in awe of the musical complexity and enchanting quality of New World Towers, Ice Cream Man and Thought I Was a Spaceman.  I do not tire of listening to these three songs and each time uncovering new musical layers of composition, the intertwining of different instruments and the dream-like effect of Damon's voice. These songs sound like they belong to no definitive time period, it almost feels like they would be equally at home in 1995, 2015 or 2035. I was walking down the street listening to the album on a Sunday night and it felt like space and time around me came to a standstill.

Finally, it wasn't hard to give in to the easy listening pleasures of Ghost Ship and Ong Ong, taking a plunge in their world of soft colored sounds and words.

All in all, I loved the album. I go back to it often, I tend to skip the more traditional Blur-esque songs, I sing along to the catchy tunes and I feel like I am floating in some kind of a dream when I listen to the three songs I mentioned that I consider some of the best work Blur and Damon Albarn have ever produced. Welcome on board.


It's the last round boarding here tonight

I'll need a landing and you to shine out

Bright rays

https://app.box.com/s/q6rn1m3udq9g84i640rxrxra5wt4stx1

3 comments:

  1. The above link doesn't seem to work, try this one:
    http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/9xw8Ep7SHuZDLRyAQpjYZS39DUr3OQtKfuqLQpHKoGmpU%2BovVzKxW0BZ2po8%2F%2FshpyzWF%2FYsUKLnRGvkPb8XrHwefJKPPeWo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a few tracks for me to get into this. At first I was really disappointed. But about four tracks in I started really getting into it. Going to give this one a few more listens and see where it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw BLUR last night @MSG. Elena was there. We were like giddy school kids. It was excellent.

    ReplyDelete