One thing i love about MK is that ensures my discovery new things to listen to each week - some crowd-sourced from you fine people, and others forced upon myself - bands/albums i’d been meaning to listen. This week one of those latter instances.
Back in 2012 a little band called Alabama Shakes started making it big on the indie / hipster scene (we even heard about them all the way up north in New York). Being from Athens, Alabama, a town not 2-hours-and-48-minutes from my hometown, you’d think I’d have jumped at the chance to hear what new rock sensation had emerged from the unlikely locale of the Heart of Dixie. And if it isn't clear enough already, bands from towns in America called "Athens" (GA, AL, OH) tend to be pretty damned good.
Many were saying their live act was phenomenal—especially the stage presence of lead singer and guitarist Brittany Howard, who's been compared by some to Janis Joplin. And the rest of the ensemble ain't too shabby. Some would classify Alabama Shakes as roots, southern rock, garage, soul, Americana, and/or blues rock. I would simply classify them as good, if not great.
Naturally, I never got to see the band live. Not just because I’m old and lame (I am), now considering myself lucky to make it to 2 shows/year in my middling years; but i also cast blame on the double-edged sword that is the NY music scene. If/when a great new (and/or well-known) act comes to our town (they usually all do), it pretty much sells out immediately. Sure, they sometimes put on 2 nights of shows, but good luck. That show is also sold out before your friend finishes telling you “did you know so-and-so is playing at such-and-such venue." You might as well book tickets for an annoyingly over-crowded festival, book a cruise ship with Weezer to see the curated side-acts, or hope a cool band is playing at a tavern near you on your next business trip. I shake my fist at thee New York popular music scene!
And thus 3 years went by without me hearing a damn thing from Alabam Shakes. Then last week i heard they’re SECOND album had dropped, and I was shaken to action, no pun intended.
All that changed ~3 hours ago. As i crank through work at 38k feet (or 11.5k meters for those of you still on the metric system), I have been serenaded, rocked, and entertained by Alabama Shakes' debut album, Boys & Girls.
I really like what I hear (a solid 4, with room to grow on me), and I hope you will too.
DL: https://app.box.com/s/6kwtmkxlva9u4svy7n4rf0rrzam4iyyy
Believe it or not, I’m in no rush to listen to their recently-released second album (yet). While initial reviews are positive, I’ve got a lot more goodness to squeeze from the first one.
Enjoy.
Back in 2012 a little band called Alabama Shakes started making it big on the indie / hipster scene (we even heard about them all the way up north in New York). Being from Athens, Alabama, a town not 2-hours-and-48-minutes from my hometown, you’d think I’d have jumped at the chance to hear what new rock sensation had emerged from the unlikely locale of the Heart of Dixie. And if it isn't clear enough already, bands from towns in America called "Athens" (GA, AL, OH) tend to be pretty damned good.
Many were saying their live act was phenomenal—especially the stage presence of lead singer and guitarist Brittany Howard, who's been compared by some to Janis Joplin. And the rest of the ensemble ain't too shabby. Some would classify Alabama Shakes as roots, southern rock, garage, soul, Americana, and/or blues rock. I would simply classify them as good, if not great.
Naturally, I never got to see the band live. Not just because I’m old and lame (I am), now considering myself lucky to make it to 2 shows/year in my middling years; but i also cast blame on the double-edged sword that is the NY music scene. If/when a great new (and/or well-known) act comes to our town (they usually all do), it pretty much sells out immediately. Sure, they sometimes put on 2 nights of shows, but good luck. That show is also sold out before your friend finishes telling you “did you know so-and-so is playing at such-and-such venue." You might as well book tickets for an annoyingly over-crowded festival, book a cruise ship with Weezer to see the curated side-acts, or hope a cool band is playing at a tavern near you on your next business trip. I shake my fist at thee New York popular music scene!
And thus 3 years went by without me hearing a damn thing from Alabam Shakes. Then last week i heard they’re SECOND album had dropped, and I was shaken to action, no pun intended.
All that changed ~3 hours ago. As i crank through work at 38k feet (or 11.5k meters for those of you still on the metric system), I have been serenaded, rocked, and entertained by Alabama Shakes' debut album, Boys & Girls.
I really like what I hear (a solid 4, with room to grow on me), and I hope you will too.
DL: https://app.box.com/s/6kwtmkxlva9u4svy7n4rf0rrzam4iyyy
Believe it or not, I’m in no rush to listen to their recently-released second album (yet). While initial reviews are positive, I’ve got a lot more goodness to squeeze from the first one.
Enjoy.


No comments:
Post a Comment