"I can play the guitar like a motherf*cking riot." - Sublime
That's debatable, Sublime guy. With a bit of practice, I could probably get the riffs of "What I Got" down. You know who can play the guitar like a motherf*cking riot?
Jack Johnson.
Of all the modern American singer/songwriters, he's by far my favorite. I finally dove into his catalogue and have listened to most of his stuff in the past several weeks. He has no poor, or even fair, albums.
But his second effort, In Between Dreams, is really something.
https://app.box.com/s/dpz20rmuhebs91drhm3zgoqfmqvr1utk
With 14 tracks at 40 minutes, it's accessible and is the definition of campfire music. I'm composing this post from the world's best coffee shop, The Cow's End, in Venice. And though I'm kicking it on my Parrot headphones (while a man with an actual parrot on his shoulder hangs outside and therefore destroys me in the cool points game), I could just imagine blasting it and having all the locals come in and sing along.
The parrot may even join in and sing, too! Because parrots talk! Get it?! Who's with me?!
My favorite tracks are "Better Together" and "Breakdown." (Btw, for a totally dope remix of the latter, check out Handsome Boy Modeling School's version.)
So, sit back, relax, light a campfire, steal a parrot, and enjoy In Between Dreams.
Eat your heart out, John Mayer. Or as I once tweeted at him, Your Mom Is a Wonderland.
At least, that's What I Got.
That's debatable, Sublime guy. With a bit of practice, I could probably get the riffs of "What I Got" down. You know who can play the guitar like a motherf*cking riot?
Jack Johnson.
Of all the modern American singer/songwriters, he's by far my favorite. I finally dove into his catalogue and have listened to most of his stuff in the past several weeks. He has no poor, or even fair, albums.
But his second effort, In Between Dreams, is really something.
https://app.box.com/s/dpz20rmuhebs91drhm3zgoqfmqvr1utk
With 14 tracks at 40 minutes, it's accessible and is the definition of campfire music. I'm composing this post from the world's best coffee shop, The Cow's End, in Venice. And though I'm kicking it on my Parrot headphones (while a man with an actual parrot on his shoulder hangs outside and therefore destroys me in the cool points game), I could just imagine blasting it and having all the locals come in and sing along.
![]() |
| I found this on Google Images, but if you've seen one parrot in Venice, you've seen 'em all, let's face it. |
My favorite tracks are "Better Together" and "Breakdown." (Btw, for a totally dope remix of the latter, check out Handsome Boy Modeling School's version.)
So, sit back, relax, light a campfire, steal a parrot, and enjoy In Between Dreams.
Eat your heart out, John Mayer. Or as I once tweeted at him, Your Mom Is a Wonderland.
At least, that's What I Got.


I first heard about Jack Johnson while my wife and I were living in Whistler in 2007. We met an awesome guy named Phil who was, like us, living in the ski resort town for a season of snowboarding fun. Unlike us, Phil was a high flying finance guy from Jersey (the Channel Island from-the-motherland Jersey, not the so-called "New" one) renting an _awesome_ pad right in the middle of town while we were slumming it in staff accommodation. So we spent countless evenings chilling in his awesome pad, drinking Yorkshire tea and watching the snow fall outside the windows (snow falling is very much a romantic thought when you're an Australian...probably less so when you're a New Yorker having to shovel it away from your driveway each winter). One of the albums that got frequent air-play during our yorkshire-tea-watching-the-snow-fall sessions was this one, In Between Dreams. So it's fair to say I have strong associations with this music, and since hearing this album nearly a decade ago I can say with certainty that there hasn't been a week go by without me listening to a Jack Johnson album. Five out of five for me.
ReplyDelete