It's me again!
Sufjan Stevens is my age. He will turn 40 this year.
Sufjan is the author of the great LP “Illinois” (2005), part of his unfinished Fifty States project which goal was to write an album for each of the 50 U.S. states. Illinois is simply amazing (it is a 5!). Some other works are BQE (for the Brooklyn Queens Expressway :)), the Age of Adz, and I don’t recommend them to you. Too weird.
I saw 2 of his shows in the last 3 years at the Brooklyn Academy of Music; the last one was Saturday, with our common friend Raman, I watched Round Up. These shows are very … esoteric, weird, kind of boring, but definitely interesting.
He is one of the most creative artist of the indie scene today in the US. He is this extremely talented artist who can play a hundred instruments from oboe that he studies at school to drums.
I discovered by chance All Delighted People (2010) a few weeks ago. It is very Sufjan Stevens like and is a good introduction to his work for those who don’t know it. It references one of the most beautiful and famous song of the pop folk American music. I don’t want to tell you what song it is here and I want you to discover it, because this is the way I experienced it. I was listening to the album while working and at the 2nd listen (Yes, I am a bit slow), I thought “wait a second, this sounds familiar to me”. Since then, I have listened to the album several dozen of times. The 2 versions of All Delighted people are definitely great. The only song that bored me is the last one, Djohariah. It is 17-minute long…
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wjqrowtsq1bni1k/AAALMBoFcDE2VMskmDac4LgHa?dl=0
4.5

Pretty sure I've figured it out :-)
ReplyDeleteThere were some really out there moments for me in this album. It would be floating along, almost American folk music kind of feel and then... Whack! A loud, discordant.... thing... Hits you right between your eyes. Or ears. I'm not sure that will ever grow on me, but we'll see.
The album art reminds me of my early 90s high school year books.