Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Rodrigo Amarante - Cavalo

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the late post, I am currently in some far away place in Brasil with a very poor internet connexion.

As I had previously mentioned, I moved to São Paulo about 6 months ago and I promised I would share some local music.

I was strongly tempted to share a classic Popular Brasilian artist like Gilberto Gil but decided to go for something more contemporary instead.

Rodrigo Amarante is a 38 year old singer-songwriter from Rio de Janeiro and while he isn't new to the music scene over here this new album (2014) is his first solo album and I've come to enjoy it quite a bit. It's very easy to listen too, mostly guitar based and sung in Portuguese - read Brasilian.

The album has a good variety of music, more on the mellow side of what I guess would qualify as Brasilian Indie. It definitely sounds from here but do not expect samba or a different take on "Mas que nada" (which was horrendously covered by the Black Eyed Peas).

Songs I liked most: nada em vão, maná, Irene.

I'm hoping listening to this makes you travel a bit!

link: https://app.box.com/s/t5094ptl22q8lvjuwucf6vha2s5drq5v


- Francois

PS: Thanks to Wikipedia I have now learned that his album is featured by NPR has Music's "50 Favourite Songs of 2014 So Far".

5 comments:

  1. i haven't commented on an album for awhile (but am really caught up in my ratings). i just started playing this one with my AM "heads down" work, and it's just...wow.

    damn you and your French/Montreal/Brooklyn/Brasil hipster music knowledge Francois!

    thank you sir may i have another?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the 1st album to which i've listened since joining as i just came on-board and... wow... what a great start. i truly enjoyed this one. i've never been to brazil (brasil) but this made me feel like i have. such range. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some pretty good shit!
    reminds me some Moustaki songs sometime.
    Brazilians and François are good at music :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've put this in heavy rotation during dinner and board games with the fam. I'm really enjoying it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete