Hello, World! Or at least... Hello, musooklub!
This is my Virgin Post. Although I’m on a United flight, so I guess it’s my United Post. Despite that terrible pun (get used to them), I’m a Los Angeles-based standup comic, originally from Cincinnati, Ohio. Raman and I have been friends since 2004 when we were both selling soap for a living.
“If you wish to converse with me, define your terms.” - Voltaire
As such, musically, here's where I am:
- Favorite musicians: 1. The Beatles. 2. Led Zeppelin. 3. R.E.M. 4. Eminem. 5. Van Morrison. 6. Jay Z. 7. Michael Jackson. 8. blink-182. 9. Pink Floyd. 10. The Beastie Boys. 11. Simon & Garfunkel. 12. Metallica.
- Favorite album: The Wall by Pink Floyd.
Raman consistently hounds me to edit my writing for length (this one will likely be my longest for this klub). Let’s see. He’d invited me a year ago, but the timing never worked. For 2014, I did something called the Year of The Hustle; I told him I’d be game to join in October when “Listen to an album/podcast everyday” became my 10th resolution. So, here I am.
THE ROLLING STONES
I’ve primarily used the last few months to tackle the discography of The Rolling Stones. I’d always wanted to get into them (especially since I love Martin Scorsese’s films, which heavily feature them) and now I have, in earnest, as I just today started listening to their last album, A Bigger Bang.
How do you get into a band with a catalogue so vast? Why, Spotify, of course. In case you’re interested in my favorite tracks from each decade, here are the links to the posts with the Spotify playlists for the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s.
There are many ways to skin a cat, but one way to divide the Stones into eras is 1962 - 1967, 1968 - 1981, and 1982 - Present. Arguably, ’68 - ’81 was their golden era, beginning with Beggars Banquet and ending with Tattoo You.
I chose Let It Bleed for myriad reasons:
- I believe it to be better than Beggars Banquet.
- It’s from 1969 (arguably the greatest year in music).
- It closes out the 1960s.
- In this modern-day age, I think that one can appreciate Banquet and before; one can enjoy Bleed and beyond.
- It’s ranked #32 on 500 Greatest Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (not to be confused with The Rolling Stones). Granted, Exile on Main St. is #7, but I’m not sure if we’re allowed to choose more than one album from one musician, so I went to the earliest album I considered worthy of my debut selection.
No doubt the stars are the opening and closing tracks: “Gimme Shelter” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”
- “Gimme Shelter” - There’s a reason Scorsese has used this track in multiple films.
- “Love in Vain” - The Stones cover Robert Johnson, one of their strongest blues influences.
- “Country Honk” - A rural version of “Honky Tonk Women.”
- “Live with Me” - It's the 1st song recorded with guitarist Mick Taylor.
- “Let It Bleed” - It’s the title track, not to be confused with The Beatles' “Let It Be.”
- “Midnight Rambler” - This, whether in-studio or live, is one of their greatest jams.
- “You Got The Silver” - It's the 1st song to feature guitarist Keith Richards as lead solo singer.
- “Monkey Man” - This was one of several Stones tracks featured in Goodfellas.
- “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” - You could imagine this as the swan song to the most tumultuous decade in American pop culture.
A quality that sets the Stones apart from most bands is that they are meant to be listened to LOUD. So, whether you’re near a phonograph or wearing your Beats by Dre headset, get ready, crank up the volume, and enjoy Let It Bleed.


This was, I somewhat sheepishly admit, my first ever proper listen to anything by the Rolling Stones. It was more blues and less rock than I had expected. I found some of the lyrics really blunt the first time around and I imagine the might have been quite shocking to some in 1969.
ReplyDelete"You Can't Always Get What You Want" was my favourite.
Welcome, Rajiv!
ReplyDeleteBen - Thanks... good to join!
ReplyDeleteWendy - Yep, the Stones were certainly controversial back in the day. Ironically, they largely came from privileged homes but found the "bad boy" image was better for them, whereas the Beatles mostly hailed from lower-class neighborhoods and went more for the "good guy" image. #marketing
Welcome, Rajiv! 2.5 for me. Not my favorite Stones album (that would be Aftermath), and the Stones are not my favorite of the 60's Brits (tossup between The Beatles and The Kinks), but I can see why people like them as much as they do. Plus I can never forgive Mick Jagger for his performance in Freejack.
ReplyDeleteHi Rajiv! Nice to see you around.
ReplyDeleteI had an huge internal discussion between 3 and 3.5. I was fighting with myself. 3 won, because they are the Stones and they are supposed to be one of the best band of the 20th century. For me, they are a band with lots of great songs, but not such a great band.