Saturday, November 29, 2014

Man or Astroman - Defcon 5...4...3...2...1

This week sort of snuck up on me so I'm going to have to do this one on the fly...



In honor of the Iron Bowl (during which I am quickly typing this) I'm going to make this week's recommendation.  The city of Tuscaloosa may be home to my Alma Mater, but the prize for the best band to ever come out of the State of Alabama goes to Auburn for natives Man or Astroman? (alternatively know as "Man...Or Astroman!", "Man...or Astro-man?" or "Man or Astro-Man?".



Does Man or Astroman? have a new album out?  Not really, but I did just find out last month that they had a new album out back in 2013, so that sort of counts in my brain, and better late then never.



What do you need to know about sci-fi surf rockers Man or Astroman??

  • Man or Astro-man? play surf music, in costume, as if they were from outer space
  • Man or Astro-man?'s original lineup included Star Crunch on guitar, Bird Stuff on drums, and Coco The Electronic Monkey Wizard on Bass and electronics, though that lineup is very different now
  • Man or Astro-man? wrote the closing theme to Space Ghost Coast to Coast
  • Man or Astro-man? have "cloned" themselves several times, sending the clones out to tour in their stead.  Called the Astro-Man Genome project, the clones have been named "Alpha" and "Gamma", Gamma consisting of all female clones.
  • Man or Astro-man? and Mystery Science Theater 3000 are heavily connected. (In Joel Hodgson's final episode of MST3K, claimed he was going on tour with MOAM to do pyrotechnic
  • Basically, Man or Astro-man? are a bunch of sci-fi nerds, heavily influenced by DEVO and 1950s B Movies, who just want to make you smile and rock out a bit.  Their new album is pretty straight forward in this respect, but fails to reconnect with a lot of the magic found on some of their earlier albums (Project Infinity, Experiment Zero, to name two).  
Defcon 5...4...3...2...1 is descent though, and I'll give it a generous 3.5 out of 5 because MOAM always deliver.  Roll Tide.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hteiee8mo3w0d9g/AADnU-XcoYx4ziBZnZ7j-qcoa?dl=0


3 comments:

  1. This is some pretty damn good rock.
    I'd love to see their gig.
    4

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1996, I saw them in a small bar in Missoula, MT. Mindblowing show, super fun, very memorable to this day. Glad when I saw last year they came back together for a record, but I don't think I ever heard it before now, so glad you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like their gigs would quite the theatrical show. Some really nice driving rock there, I liked it. 3.5

    ReplyDelete