Sunday, December 7, 2014

Midlake - the Courage of Others (2010)

Lately, I was listening so much to the Bach's Violion Partita that I rediscovered, that I really considered introduce you to them. But, I thought it wasn´t the best choice: those who like classical music might already like them and for those who don´t like classical music, it might not be the easiser way to get into it.

So, I looked back at 2014 and at the band I had discovered and last May, I had downloaded 2 Midlake albums, because they were going to Primaver Sound (the Barcelona music festival). Of their last 2 albums, I have a strong preference for the older one, The Courage of Others issued in 2010. I had listened to it just a little bit 6 month ago, but thanks to the musooklub, I decided to pay more attention to Midlake. And the more I listened to The Courage of Others, the more I liked it. And I even stopped listening to Bach´s violin partitas for a while.



As Wikipedia says,  Midlake are an American folk rock band from Denton, Texas, formed in 1999. Till 2012, the band consisted of Tim Smith, vocalist, guitarist and primary songwriter, McKenzie Smith, Paul Alexander, Eric Nichelson, Jesse Chandler and Joey McClellan. In 2012, Tim left the band during the recording of its fourth studio album and Eric Pulido but looking at their latest album, it was a bad idea (this was my comment, not Wikipedia's).

They are kind of in between of Wilco and the Tindersticks, with very rich guitars and a prdominant voice.

This album, is a long complain. I have to admit that I do not pay attention (because English is not my mother tongue), but the titles of the song and the songs. They are beautifully sad and depressive. Some songs, such as The Horn, don´t start that sad but they all end very sad with complaining guitars and lyrics.

My favorite songs are The Horn, Core of Nature and Acts of Man.

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vqo8845whofqwe1/AACFcYMICvuiyuplMRN7QGK-a?dl=0

A solid 4, for me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully tragic. I really liked it, but it is not something I'd play while getting ready for a party :-)

    ReplyDelete