Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Beck - Morning Phase

Okay, so the first thing I have to admit is that I haven't really followed Beck's career in any detail since he first came on the seem with "Loser".  That being said, I had heard opinions here and there with how he has continually reinvented his style of music and stayed relevant in a very tough music industry.

I credit my wife for picking up his latest album, Morning Phase and telling me to take a more serious listen to it.  I have only started listening to this album recently but I have been impressed with it.  There's some excellent songwriting and musicianship throughout the CD - nothing to blow you away, necessarily, but very tasteful and successful in creating a mood.  And, there really are not any crappy "filler" songs on the album, which in this day and age is rare with an artist that has been around for as long as Beck has.

So far, my favorite tracks are Blue Moon, Heart is a Drum and I also like the mood created by the songs Unforgiven and Waking Light.

This album has me thinking that I should go back and check out more of Beck's catalogue from the past.   Either way, I hope you find at least a couple tracks that you appreciate on this one.

Link to Zip File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2csnjsv3orhkgoo/Morning%20Phase.zip?dl=0

5 comments:

  1. Very good album indeed and I keep being impressed by Beck's ability to re-invent himself. This is worth a solid 4 for me. Songs aren't necessarily hits, but as you pointed out, I love the continuity of the album overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grading this perhaps unfairly - not on the scale for just anyone, but for Beck, an amazing musician. I first heard this album when it came out on, you guessed it, NPR's first listen, and hadn't listen since. My impression the second time was the same as the first: too mellow and flat, not enough energy and quirkiness. I love Beck and that won't change, but I found the effort a bit underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard anything by Beck for a loooong time, but I really enjoy this album. I had zero expectations (unlike Richard) so this album was a pleasant surprise. It's a keeper, 4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I knew about Beck before listening to this album is that he used a dog with the same hairstyle as my dog for the cover of "Odelay" :-)

    I really liked the sounds of this one, but every time I listened to it, I'd end up in rather a bit of a miserable/melancholy place. I suppose that's a good thing in a way - the mark of powerful music is that it makes you feel things. I wanted to give it a 4, but the sad stuff has bumped it down to a 3.5. I like it, but it's not something I'd be able to listen to very often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needed to mention that this album just won two grammys, including Album of the Year. Make what you want of it!

    ReplyDelete