Tuesday, October 28, 2014

WoodKid – The Golden Age

     




Alright, so I moved to Brasil about three months ago and figured I would end up sharing some of the finest local music in my next post. And there is quite an extraordinarily high amount of quality music in this country that I will be sure to share in the future.

However, since I moved, I’ve been obsessed with one album that has nothing to do with Samba, if anything, it would be quite the opposite. I also hope it will offer something different to what we have shared so far. It is very new for me at least and I don’t recall listening to music of this kind lately.

So anyway, the album I’d like to share is called Golden Age by Woodkid. He is a French musician who has started to make a lot of ground over the past year or so with this album. The music has clear desire of grandiose, it is a mix of more classical instruments (Violins, Horns, piano, etc.) with strong percussions and a deep mellow voice. Most of this is used in minor accords that he uses to produce songs that can range from dark to epic.

My favorite songs on the album are Sabat Mater, Ghost Lights, Shadows and The Other Side but the overall mood of the album is what should stick out the most and I find less appeal to listening to these songs individually. I enjoyed it as I thought it was a very consistent album from start to finish and it takes me to a very weird place. Good weird though =D

This gets a 4.5/5 for me, and I’m contemplating a 5/5 as I can see this as a timeless album that I will still be listening to 30 years from now. It is very, very far from being catchy or poppy and I imagine it will be quite polarizing so I’m curious to see what you guys think about it.



PS: The music videos are in that vein as well and one of them also made a bit of noise for being copied by Shakira’s “La La La” music video that she issued for the world cup. (http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/88411704.html?page=2).



3 comments:

  1. I haven't listened to the album yet (looking forward to it - sounds fascinating!) but can I just say that that album cover is very creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it´s really nice. the music and the rhythm remind me a lot Antony and the Johnsons, with a different voice. I need some more listens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome album, really enjoying the instrumentation and the orchestral sound to some of the tracks. This one might be a keeper.

    ReplyDelete