Sunday, September 7, 2014

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

Damon Albarn is the front man of Blur and the co-founder of Gorillaz. He also sung in a great album of a one-time group called, The Good, The Bad and The Queen. These are few of his most important works. I did not know that till I read an article about him in the Time magazine last June. He had just published his first solo record, called Everyday Robots. And that’s what I want to talk to you about.

It is a low-key album, quiet, slow, subtle, complex, reflexive and deep. His voice is very central and quiet at the same time. There are some nice instruments that make pretty noises around that seem to be decorating it.


It is a very different album to what we are used to with Blur or Gorillaz. All songs are pretty shy, rather than sad, except Mr Tembo that brings some folk dance into the quiet album with a beautiful elephant that he met in Tanzania: http://youtu.be/ODG3VRkncBc

There might not be one single song that stands out of the album because of its great consistency. I believe that “Hostile” the #2 track is a beautiful track achieving a great balance of harmony and quietness. The last song, Heavy Seas of Love, featuring Bryan Eno, is a nice conclusion of this quiet album, bringing some joy into it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57uy47u81picuto/AAA4JERxU04hHBCiwcX-rlM-a?dl=0

For me, a great album, artistically speaking and very pleasant to listen.
4.5

4 comments:

  1. Dear Damon-
    I tried. I really did. I've been a fan since "Park Life."

    I forgave you for "Song 2" in its exact 2 minutes of pop-rock repetitiveness (even though I pretty much bought a copy of FIFA '98 for the killer musical montage you inspired)

    On 13, i cried with you on "Tender" and rocked out to "Bug Man." And even though I had a high school crush on the ex you wrote that album about, I took your side, and grew up to become a bonafide Blur fan, leaving Elastica behind with the rest of the 90s.

    You twice made me happy with the Gorillaz - albums played frequently at many my parties (alongside weird sci-fi and/or animation playing on the TV, naturally). I even recently went to see your next side project, "Monkey Journey to the West" - AND afterwards bought the soundtrack.

    So I was pretty excited when Laurent recommended "Everyday Robots," and while it was enjoyable with melodic lounge beats it left me somewhat wanting. Where was the soulful irony, the observation, the commentary? The laid back grooves did just that, sit in he background subtly, not pulling me in to listen more closely (like so many musical projects before) to what is clearly well thought out everyday prose? The closest you came was "Lonely Press Play." I really would rather restrain myself on "Mr. Tembo." "Parakeet" felt like it came off the cutting room floor of "Monkey." "You & Me" makes for some sad breakup mix tape poetry though.

    What else is there to say, my friend? The album felt almost robotic, and everyday. So i guess it lived up to the name. Maybe that's what we should expect fr your solo projects. Have you been comparing notes with Rivers Cuomo (of whose "Alone" recordings I was reminded)? Unfortunately, as much as i appreciated it, I gave this effort but only a 3.5 out of 5, but as a fan, I have faith you'll do better next time.

    Keep up the good work.

    Your pal,

    -raman

    ReplyDelete
  2. upon further listening, i'll up this by +0.5 - moving it to a 4. the lyrics are a hauntingly accurate commentary on today's society. this one is sure to get better with more listens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never paid any attention to the Gorillaz, not because I don't like the music, more because we just haven't crossed paths. I think after listening to this album I might give them a try. Everyday Robots isn't the kind of album I'd usually listen to but I've had it on repeat while I've been working today and I quite like it. I haven't been paying any attention to the lyrics so I think I'm bound to get more out of this album over time, but as a background-while-I-work album it's not too bad. My favourite tunes are Mr Tembo and Photographs.

    3.5 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love Damon's voice on this album. It's beautiful and works well with the music. I thought the writing left a bit to be desired, especially compared to some of his other work. Reading Raman's change between his first and second post make me wonder if 4 listens was not enough.

    ReplyDelete