There have been a slew of albums from 2014 that I've been listening to that I had considered posting (Beck, Sun Kil Moon, Parquet Courts, The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, The War on Drugs, Drive By Truckers, Temples, and Fucked Up have all had seriously fantastic albums for 2014 and I highly encourage you to check them out).
This week though, I've chosen Here And Nowhere Else by Cloud Nothings, and here is why: Where's the rock? Where's the rock, folks? Every week I'm waiting for the rock to arrive, but I'm left at the door, impatiently looking through the peephole for a UPS delivery (of rock) that doesn't seem like it's ever going to arrive. (I'm paying for Amazon Prime, I expect rock to be delivered tout suite for god's sake.) Don't get me wrong: there's nothing wrong with the occasional "not rock" album. Lord knows variety is the spice of life, but there's only been one full on rock album since Raman put up The Strokes and Joey put up Fall Out Boy. That's a 10 week dry spell, my friends! So, to answer my own question:
HERE IS THE ROCK.
Who are Cloud Nothings? Cleveland, Ohio based Cloud Nothings are lead by Dylan Baldi, a Case Western Reserve University freshman who at the time had a penchant for coming up with names of bands and writing songs for those fake bands and then posting them online. Cloud Nothings was one of those bands. Originally infused with pure, garage-pop DNA, Cloud Nothings actually ceased to be a fake band once record labels came a' knockin'. Baldi dropped out of college to chase the Rock and Roll fantasy, and one EP and one album later, Cloud Nothings found themselves at something of a crossroads. Their self titled album Cloud Nothings participated in the Ideal Platonic Form Power Pop to a greater degree than Jimmy Eat World versus Fountains of Wayne listening to The Futureheads after going to a Get Up Kids concert (if you can imagine that). "Not Important" is a good example of the style of music that can be found during this time period:
But thankfully, that's not the direction that Baldi felt inclined to continue to take the band.
But thankfully, that's not the direction that Baldi felt inclined to continue to take the band.
In 2012, Cloud Nothings released Attack on Memory, which marked a severe change of course in the band's style (and volume).
Witness the glory of the 9 minute power punk/psychedelic onslaught that is "Wasted Days":
Attack on Memory was certainly one of the best rock albums of 2012, proving that a band can completely reinvent themselves (just as long as their music doesn't suck.)
Attack on Memory was certainly one of the best rock albums of 2012, proving that a band can completely reinvent themselves (just as long as their music doesn't suck.)
2014's Here And Nowhere Else is the natural result of Attack On Memory's success. Here And Nowhere Else continues to see Cloud Nothings move further and further away from the sugar coated power pop of yore. Granted, you can still hear Baldi's poppy soul in every song (virtually every song is catchy as hell), but by this time they've struck a much more palatable ratio of power to pop. Clocking in with 8 songs at only 31 minutes, this album will not require much of you other than to hold on tight. From the fuzzy opening riff of "Now Hear In" to closing fist pump inducing repetitions of "I'm not I'm not you, you're a part of me" of "I'm Not Part Of Me"; this album is a steady, relentless driving force. Perhaps my favorite aspect of this album is the absolutely astounding drumwork of drummer Jason Gerycz. Far from simply keeping time, the drums are right up there in your face, as much as vocals or guitar.
Highlights
1. Now Hear In - The album opener. Catchy hooks? - check. Taste of what's to come? - check. Leaves you wanting more? - Check.
2. Quieter Today - Okay, so we're just going to settle in and HOLY SHIT DID YOU JUST HEAR THE CHORUS AND STOP TIME? Yeah, you did.
3. Psychic Trauma - My favorite song on the album. One third of the way through the song picks up an absolutely furious pace. And my god, those drums.
4. Just See Fear - This is my least favorite song on the album. That said, it's still a solid tune.
5. Giving Into Seeing - "Saying something it's supposed to be true".
6. No Thoughts - The drumwork. GOD. DAMMIT.
7. Pattern Walks - At over 7 minutes, this is the bookend to Wasted Days. Not as good as Wasted Days, but still, magnificent, especially when it settles in for a nice soak at about the 4:30 mark.
8. I'm Not Part of Me - The power pop lives on. Pump those fists.
This is one of the few (near) perfect albums for me. It just destroys me on every level, and I find it more enjoyable each time I listen to it. Hope you enjoy as much as I do. I'm rounding up on this one, since it's closer to 5/5 than it is to 4.5/5 for me.
5/5
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h15elj2vggmsxqs/AAAeoP4Y3vrWG87_EmOimqmBa?dl=0


so remember when we were younger Josh? that's what this album made me feel like. i think if i saw these guys live (likely opening for Ozma or Reggie & the Full Effect), i'd be racing to buy the album at the merch table.
ReplyDeletei loved Josh's plea for the rock (let's bring it back folks!) - and the track-for-track review (which unfairly biased me). i give Josh's POST a 5.
short and sweet. that's what good rock albums do. the beats, tempo, and instrumentation are all top notch. but Dylan Baldi's vocals start to grate on me after awhile. fortunately he shuts up and lets the rest of the band do their thing, and do it well they do. the music itself is raw but moving (like 1/2-way thru "Quieter Today"), so i don't want melodies and harmonization, but i was looking for some more soulful crooning (VS just shouting)
but y'know was missing. the obligatory lethargic/swooning rock ballad - the track you'd put on a mix CD for that girl (or boy) you really like. "Im Not Part of Me" got the closest, but i want to dance to it (which for the wanna-be white-kid rocker from Alabama is pretty much jumping up and down pumping my fists)
a well-earned 4, though i might upgrade to 4.5 after a few more rotations.
PS - it's a good thing i don't drive as much anymore, bc this album would get me a speeding ticket.
I like a bit of rock as much as the next guy (though clearly not as much as _this_ guy), but the vocals drive me nuts. I had to force myself to listen to the whole album (and it's only thirty minutes long!) just so I could review it fairly. I quite enjoyed the music in those rare moments when his mouth was closed, but there's no way I can subject my ears to this again.
ReplyDeleteThe drumming was the standout, but give me Billy Cobham or Buddy Rich any day ;-)
I give this album 1.5.
Forgot to say, excellent post!
ReplyDeleteGood call on the rock, Josh. Long overdue.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you and Raman on this one - loved it. Perfect length for my bus ride and walk to work, and oddly perfect for working to.
Tracks 2 and 8 were my favourites, but the whole album is brilliant. It even took me back to Titus Andronicus, which didn't stick the first time through but has now made or onto a regular play list along with this album.
5/5
Great post!
ReplyDeleteI liked the energy from instrumental parts of this album. It's aggressive and driven and probably speed-ticket inducing in the car. But the vocals... oh the vocals. I do not like my music to scream at me. I like to hear the words. The end of "No Thoughts" in particular made me twitch with effort it took not to hit the skip button.
I'm giving this one a 2.
musooklub's member with the best music taste: it's subjective, duh.
ReplyDeletemusooklub's member who writes the best posts: it's objectively josh, duh.
in the titus family, it seems, but to me i enjoyed the music of cloud nothings more. i have a problem with the vocals. but some fun, revved up moments.