Monday, September 15, 2014

Spoon - They Want My Soul

After abandoning several other potential selections, I decided to give the latest Spoon album a listen ...
My first impression: catchy and upbeat similar to their signature style but a little more polished. I feel like it faded some towards the end. I'll provide an updated rating with a few more listens: 


A little bit about the band:

Spoon is an American rock band formed in Austin, Texas. The band is composed of Britt Daniel (vocals, guitar); Jim Eno (drums); Rob Pope (bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, backing vocals), Eric Harvey (keyboard, guitar, percussion, backing vocals), and Alex Fischel (keyboard, guitar). The band was formed in late 1993 by the lead singer and guitarist Britt Daniel and the drummer Jim Eno, after the two met as members of The Alien Beats. The name Spoon was chosen to honor the 1970s German avant-garde band Can, whose hit song "Spoon" was the theme song to the 1985 movie Das Messer aka Jagged Edge in the United States. Eno describes Spoon's music as "psychedelic."

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/naz8wywxwo4h62s/AAC5h5hrosx5IpbXF0XjVVSFa?dl=0


5 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to listening to this one! Thanks for posting some Spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Updated review: So, it took me awhile to warm up to this one, but I like it even more everytime I listen to it. I was still reminiscing their previous albums, like Girls Can Tell or Kill the Moonlight, so I was fairly reserved in the beginning. This one definitely has a different energy to it, probably attributed to the maturity of the band and the addition of the new band member. (NPR interview: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/06/05/318445464/after-learning-to-loosen-up-spoon-readies-its-return-the-all-songs-interview)

    Notable songs:
    inside out - the synthesizing was a little odd at first, but it grew on me
    do you
    knock knock knock
    they want my soul (throwback mention to Jonathon Fisk)
    I just dont understand - felt like a new style
    let me be mine
    new york beat

    Giving it a 4/5 - solid album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4.5. Excellent effort by Spoon. Enjoying the hell out of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree, some very good rock.
    I only had one other Spoon album (Telephono) that I had not listened for a long time. And they did some great work with They want my soul.
    I definitely want to get to know better the band!!!
    I really enjoy listening but they do not leave me such an amazing mark.
    Thanks for sharing
    4/5

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried a few times with this one. Tried a few times... but it just didn't happen. I'd have it one while I was working, the music would stop and I'd realised I'd completely tuned it out. Again. Nothing really grabbed me and I don't know why. I'm giving it a 2.5 until maybe I can have another proper go at it down the track.

    ReplyDelete