DL: http://drop.io/adz1
http://drop.io/adz2
About the artist:
Sufjan Stevens mixes autobiography, religious fantasy, and regional history to create folk songs of grand proportions. A preoccupation with epic concepts has motivated two state records (Michigan & Illinois), an electronic album for the animals of the Chinese zodiac (Enjoy Your Rabbit), a five-disc Christmas box set (Songs for Christmas), and, more recently, a programmatic tone poem with film accompaniment for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, a large-scale ensemble piece commissioned by BAM in 2007.
Why I chose - I've been waiting for this album to come out. I'm still giving it a couple more listens before giving it some comments/ratings. Its different yet still has a subtle Sufjan feel to it.
This album is a bit more visceral and confessional (and at times surreal) than his Seven Swans and Illinois albums. It does have more of a beat to it though. My favorite tracks are Futile Devices, Get Real Get Right, Vesuvius, and Impossible Soul. I do miss his anectodal songs - maybe he'll return to his 50 states quest.
ReplyDeleteHere's background info on the album: http://asthmatickitty.com/the-age-of-adz
I've forgot to add a couple of things to my post:
ReplyDeleteMy overall rating is a 4/5. Its a solid album - it does showcase his depth and breadth.
About me:
I'm a newlywed for about a month. Now that that's done, I have no excuses left for not reviewing =)
I'm an engineer at GE Aircraft Engines at Cincinnati - working on Turbine Nozzles - hoping to transition my work into the technology & policy arena (related to my grad work).
Me and my plus one have been getting into Dexter - I wouldn't say the characters are very likable but the plot does pull us in.
It's worth plugging away at Dexter Jieun, the characters get very good.
ReplyDeleteRaman - I noted on drop.io that there is now a message saying their service is being discontinued. I read yesterday that they've been bought by Facebook which is probably why. Any preferred service for uploading for the future?
dear sufjan-
ReplyDeleteyou're not thom yorke. when you mess with electronics, it really sounds weird. keep it simple.
your pal,
-raman
hence, this album was a mixed bag for me. some of the tracks were touching (in sufjan's usual style), but some were flaming lips weird - the bad kind of weird. i'll give it a 3.
Man, I had to struggle through this one. There were some nice musical moments on a few of the tracks but he seemed determined to ruin them with ejaculations of electronica. I've never heard of this guy and, after this album, am likely to quickly forget him.
ReplyDelete2/5
rohan - don't write off sufjan for this bad album. go find 1 of his 2 earlier notable albums - "illinois" or "michigan" - they were arguably some of the best albums of their respective years. for serious.
ReplyDeletebut i feel ya on the electronics messing up the new album. total sucktitude.
Would love to check out some earlier ones. Got any you'd like to share?
ReplyDeleterohan-
ReplyDeletegive these 2 a try: http://www.box.net/shared/rpuiol54da
"illinois" and "michigan" - were both part of his "50 states" project - where sufjan was researching the local history of american states to write an album based on each. he probably won't finish this one.
both are pretty mellow to start, but IMHO - musical masterpieces (which is why the most recent album posted above was such a disappointment).
he also releases GREAT christmas albums every year. i think there's an album of kids' songs as well. all good stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufjan_Stevens