Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Magic Numbers

Download...


The Artist...
After reading the comments on my last post (to summarise: good but why so sad?) and reflecting on Raman's rebuke on relocating from London to Australia and thereby robbing the musooklub of it's only UK representative, I thought I'd better come through this time. So let me present The Magic Numbers. An English foursome consisting of two brother-sister sets, these guys released their debut, self-titled album in 2005 to substantial critical acclaim. They released a follow-up album in 2008, Those For Brokes, and have just released their third album, The Runaway.

Why This Album...
I've picked their first album because it's just good old-fashioned fun. Most of the tracks are acoustic with vocal harmonies and just catchy enough to lodge themselves in the back of your brain for the better part of a week. I recommend the album for long journeys and the workplace.

Favourite Tracks...
This is a tough one only because there are so many nifty tracks on this album. Morning's Eleven and Forever Lost, the first two tracks on the album, are catchy enough to get you humming and tapping along. I recommend pencils on the desk or hands on the dashboard for maximum annoyance of co-workers and driver. I See You, You See Me is also a nice track a bit further on in the album.

Now, they do have a slightly country sound so the songs do slow down at times and there is an undertone of drunk-and-stole-my-dog on some of them. But overall it's an upbeat album and well worth a listen.

Personal Stuff...
I'm unemployed, homeless, and this week the bottom fell off the only pair of shoes I have. So things are going a little better than expected with my move back to Australia!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this album - frankly one of the best in the club in the past number of weeks. It's upbeat, fun, but not one dimensional. I can listen to this in the car, at the computer and even when I'm running. Great post!

    ReplyDelete