Kaberi recommends (week of October 25):

Last month my college mate Dhaval showed up on my Facebook newsfeed. His status message said something about a gig in Bangalore. So I went to watch Half Step Down for the first time and much like his college band of which he was also frontman, it was an effortless and enjoyable performance. Unlike a lot of other indie music in India, Half Step Down have an interesting and distinctive sound - rock n roll-ish with some blues and alternative rock overtones. They know who they are and I personally think they're going to go far. I love Dhaval's voice and think he's immensely talented. He also has a great stage presence and the whole band really work well together.
About the artist:
You can find out more here: http://www.myspace.com/halfstepdownmusic
Favourite tracks:
#4 - Girl, Not Guitar has a bit of an adolescent swagger about it which makes me smile, particularly when he sings 'some day I'm going to be a big, big star'. The keyboard interlude has a sweet whimsy about it which reveals a softer side to the song.
#7 - The piano introduction reminds me Right Here Right Now by Van Halen and then it takes you by surprise by going in a completely different direction.
Update about Kaberi:
So I've been madly busy these last few months with work mostly. My first venture - http://www.percentageplay.in/ - is finally up and running! Do take a look if you are interested in a proprietary trading firm that discloses trading activity in real time so that interested investors can replicate them with their personal brokers. It's a new concept in India certainly and I'm really happy that people seem to be taking to it.
i had trouble importing the WMA files into my Mac's iTunes, so converted them to MP3 + included track listings at this new drop:
ReplyDeletehttp://drop.io/hsdoinosMP3
kaberi - FYI. please feel free to edit your post w this link also =)
Done. Thanks, Raman!
ReplyDeleteNice mix between early Pearl Jam and Living Colour. Gotta love a band that makes liberal use of the eighties-synth bass sound and ripping, off-tempo guitar solos. Not sure this will make it into regular rotation, but I enjoyed listening to it. 3/5
ReplyDelete