The Roots released an independently produced debut album, Organix, in 1993. In 1995, with the label DGC Records, the band released Do You Want More?!!!??!. Two guest performers on Do You Want More?!!!??!, Rahzel and Scott Storch joined the group. Soon after, however, Storch left the band and was replaced by Kamal Gray. Their next album, Illadelph Halflife, was released in 1996. With Illadelph Halflife the band again gained members in Scratch and Dice Raw. The band's next album, Things Fall Apart, was a breakthrough album in that it was their first album to break the top 10 of the Billboard 200 (peaking at 4). Also in 1999, the band released an EP, The Legendary, and a live album titled The Roots Come Alive. Rahzel, Dice Raw, and Malik B. all parted from the band for differing reasons. In 2000, guitarist Ben Kenney joined The Roots and would stay with the band through their next album, Phrenology, before leaving to join rock band Incubus. After Phrenonlogy, guest performer F. Knuckles became a permanent member and Captain Kirk Douglas replaced Kenney, while Scratch also decided to leave the group. The next album was 2004's The Tipping Point followed by Game Theory in 2006. During 2007, longtime member Leonard Hubbard decided to retire. He was replaced by Owen Biddle. Rising Down, the eighth studio album from The Roots, was released in 2008. Their next album, How I Got Over, was released on June 21, 2010.
They have collaborated with a wide range of artists from different genres, including Roy Ayers and Cody Chesnutt. The Roots have generated a great deal of critical acclaim and influenced numerous rap and R&B acts. On March 2, 2009, The Roots became the house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
(Wikepedia)
Why I like: The Roots are not the average one hit wonder or summer flame hip-hop groups. They have one of the best lyricist around, an amazing band and they put on a hell of a show.
Fave Track: Dear God 2.0
About Me: (Sorry forgot this part [Raman]) It seems that life is in fast forward, my daughter (Kennedy) is almost 8 months old and has started the mobility phase. This is very exciting and also a bit scary. We've started the child/adult proofing of the house, which is a lot of fun...keeps you from opening the snack cabinet in the middle of the night (haha). We took our first long road trip with kid in tow, 12 hours from Cincinnati out to Cape Hatteras, NC. I must say I was quite proud of Kennedy's performance in the car all those hours, only one breakdown and that was 10 minutes before we pulled into the hotel parking lot! We had a great vacation, lots of good fisihing. We returned home with some yummy tuna and a little tan.

and yet nothing new about how YOU'RE doing dale. i'll just have to assume all the spray paint fumes are getting to you in your old age man...
ReplyDeletewow. i'm just on my first listen-thru and this is really stacking up to be a solid album. it needs a few more spins, but i'm expecting a 4 or 5 rating.
ReplyDeleteNow this was a good listen. I've never heard The Roots before and I'm not really a hip hop fan (is this hip hop?), but I enjoyed this album. I'm going to put it on a few more times before picking a favourite one.
ReplyDelete4/5
Its been awhile since I listened to the Roots. Good choice ... good listen while I'm getting out of my music lull. Good beats + cool tracks (4/5)
ReplyDeleteI was researching it online and saw they were nominated for Best Rap Album Grammy. I'd love to see them win, but the Grammy's aren't as, um, discriminating? as the Oscars, so they'll probably give Eminem his 5th on popular appeal alone. 5 album grammy's is impressive enough, but especially considering he's only put out 3 good albums.
ReplyDeleteGreat album for the Roots. Good and bad thing about the Roots, they stick to what they know. For a live band, I'd love to hear a kick-ass funky guitar solo at some point. Black Thought and the guest appearances work very well vocally, and the most fun I've had front to back with one of their albums since "Things Fall Apart"