Friday, September 17, 2010

Quantic & His Combo Bárbaro "Tradition in Transition"

Hi kids, my name is Hutch and I am a resident of Brisneyland, Australia. This is my first post so i'd thought i drop in a quick heads up about me. I am a afrolatin funk jazzical soul record collector. I am also into many other styles of music, am a qualified audio engineer, and have been in a band or two in my time. I have dj'ed for many years profesionally as my main occupation and now play about once a month for kicks. One thing I am not is a lettuce. On with the tunes.

Quantic & His Combo Bárbaro "Tradition in Transition"




This amazing album was released in July 2009 and for me became an instant classic. Will Holland (Quantic) is a prolific piano player and producer and has around 10 albums under his belt. He recently relocated from the UK to live and record in Cali, Columbia, and this album sees him mining the lesser-tapped musical sources from the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa and fusing those rediscovered psychedelic, experimental and rhythmically rich sounds of the past with deep funk and soul elements and folkloric vocal styles.

Its dreamy!

4 comments:

  1. This one falls into the 'too hard to download' category

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hutch-
    can you post the album to drop.io and edit your post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, finally mustered up and listened to this album through the browser. And I'm glad I did. Nice post Hutch! Very Sunday-afternoon (I'm listening on a Saturday, it's causing me internal dissonance). I especially liked track 3...nice trumpet.

    3.5/5

    ReplyDelete
  4. just a solid, surreal album that takes you on a journey somewhere...nice.

    4/5.

    ReplyDelete