Monday, August 3, 2015

Patrick Watson - Love Songs for Robots (2015)

I knew nothing about Patrick Watson till a few weeks ago, when I discovered his latest album, Love Song for Robots. Though, I am realizing that I can not talk to you about Patrick Watson, without writing a few lines about another Patrick, Patrick Oliver, first.

[If you don't want to know about Patrick Oliver, you can skip the following paragraph]

Patrick Oliver, is an English gentleman, who became American a few years ago, after living in this dear country for many years. He even supports now the American soccer team (because the English one really sucks).
He is a music producer and used to work in our office space. As a music producer, his job is to license musics or get music composed mainly for advertising. A few months ago, he changed office, but he keeps on receiving the Compact Discs that are sent to him for discovery by small music labels. And guess what??? He does not want anymore all these CDs!!! He works too far away to pick them up (2 blocks) and he does not even me to bring them to him!  And guess what??? I still have a CD / DVD player on my computer!! So, thanks to Patrick Oliver leaving our office, I now get plenty of brand new music (for free!!!).



Getting back to Patrick Watson.
He is a Canadian singer - songwriter, from Montreal. And this Love Songs for Robots is his 5th album. Really sorry, but I haven't listened to his previous albums, yet, but I am going to listen to them soon!


He reminds me of... Antony & the Johnsons and Bon Iver, even though, he definitely has is own sound. So, I guess he will be a bit polarizing within the musooklub. 


Finally, I am not sure he picked the most iconic stage name: Patrick Watson, seriously?

My favorite songs:
#2 - Good Morning Mr. Wolf,
#4 - Hearts,
#9 - Know what you know,
#10 - Places you will go.

Because he is a total discovery, and because it sounds really well, Patrick gets a 4.5!

Download!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45t5c6yrncav2yf/AAC2Fe6ywAQwQ0rqddBOY9IHa?dl=0
 

10 comments:

  1. just started listening, but like what i hear so far.

    (everyone except JoshR, but including Laurent) - whoever can identify the robot on the cover wins a no-prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't know who that is but it looks like Tom Servo with a boa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about Mystery Science Theater 3000...
    I am missing a lot of American pop culture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, it might actually be Tom Servo!! Also, I'm listening to this at work right now and really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LB: if you only watch one episode of MST3K, it's "Space Mutiny" - a classic.

    JVR: you are an illiterate cretin. but you have good taste in music + comic books, so remain my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... this conversation just went into Mega Nerd territory. (Not surprising when we are so close to the singularity...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally got to give it some time and I was very intrigued the first few songs I had listened to.

    I'm enjoying it very much and it fits very well a quiet and peaceful mood. I'll give it a four, with an option for 4.5 later on.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what was the name of that startup agency you work for Laurent? Skynet? Cyberdine? Hal 9000? Bender? This is the second lethargic album with "Robots" in the title (Damon Albarn's "Everyday Robots" being the first - which has become a favorite to sleep on planes to or comment on our modern society).

    since his employment motivations are clear, i think Laurent's plan is to get us all sulky and retrospective with his "hipster easy listening" until we let our guards down (or say goodbye to this sweet world) so the robots can take over.

    but otherwise a really, really, good, if not great album. beautiful vocals and great use of acoustics to pause the weirdness. i agree with Francois. a 4 that could be well on it's way to a 4.5.

    i say this to curry favor with our future robot masters. どうもありがとう

    ReplyDelete
  9. A neat little coincidence, this album was posted the same week I was reading "Speak" by Louisa Hall - an interesting bit of (very fictional) story telling about the creation of artificial intelligence. One of the plot lines was about society banning and dumping very life-like robots because children loved them too much.

    Anyway :-)

    I liked the album. It sort of starts and ends in the same floaty place with a whole lot of everything jumbled in between. I like his voice and the kaleidoscope of instrumentation and sounds. Good Morning Mr Wolf was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete