Monday, July 27, 2015

Elliot Moss - Highspeeds


Elliot Moss is a musician from New York and this album was his first album - released in 2014. I only got to discover it in the past few weeks. 

I found the album to be very interesting and has a couple of tracks that are very rich. I'll recommend Slip and VCR as my two favorites on the album. However, I'm not sure however how Best Light made it onto it. It's a bit inconsistent but this could be justified by the fact that he is only 21 years old. I will definitely be following his work a bit more closely in the future.

What was funny to me is his wikipedia description, which goes as such: 

Elliot Moss is a multi-instrumentalist songwriter, producer, and visual artist from New York. He released his debut album Highspeeds in 2014, which was played, recorded, and mixed primarily by himself

What I read: 'post-adolescent with a MacBook, a guitare and a basement'. For a a guy who should still be in college it's pretty damn good record and I'd give it a solid 4. Maybe a bit more with time


https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ssfjbhzwisyttjf/AACEJA0KrNJJBFi5gTItbQaIa?dl=0

4 comments:

  1. I really like this album. I'd heard "Slip" before (agreed, one of the better track), but not the whole album. Has a bit of a Radiohead feel, which I'm a fan of. Can hear is especially on "Faraday Cage".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting sounds on there, but I found the lyrics a bit... clunky? at times. 'Faraday Cage' was the highlight for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadn't thought about the Radiohead similarities but they were obvious once you pointed them out.

    Not sure I agree with the lyrics being clunky though ;) But they do sound very aggressive contrarily to what the style of music would lead to suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's that one point in "into the Icebox" where you think the vaudeville piano is about to start playing the Super Mario Bros. theme, but then it gets dark and hospital-y. then i re-read the song title. dark shit.

    "Faraday Cage" IS excellent, but holy moly, "About Time" goes from fun to haunting really quick. i'm still looking over my shoulder.

    overall, really good moody shit, 2-3 listens got me to a 3.5, but with more airplay, i can see this getting up to a 4.

    ReplyDelete