"I don't think
I'll find the love I want,
The love I'm searching for,
in this machine."
with those opening words Matt Sharp, of exiled Weezer fame, got stuck in my head for the next ~20 years.
(hi i'm Raman, and i'll be jumping in / pitch-hitting this week as we muddle through some transitions in the Klub)
last week the #1 Weezer fan from 1998 Tuscaloosa, AL (and fellow musooklubber) Josh told me a new Rentals album had come out. knowing their track record, i downloaded with a bit of skepticism, wondering if this album would bring the rock or the melancholy (Resilience, anyone?), that the Rentals' pendulum has been swinging for the better part of 2 decades. sweetness and tenderness, indeed.
this latest album, Lost in Alphaville fortunately checks both boxes, with a heavier leaning to the rock, which i needed to advance from my winter doldrums into a sunnier spring. the album probably needs a few more listens to fully grow on me, but the Rentals have long since earned that right. because despite it's all-too familiar sound, I've simply been waiting for something to come through.
have a listen, and enjoy.

"It's Time To Come Home" MIGHT *MIGHT* MIGHT be my favorite Rentals song so far. "Traces of Our Tears", "1000 Seasons" and "Irrational Things" are also top tier songs for their catalog. The album as a whole has a lot of potential (didja know that Ryan Slegr from Ozma is their guitarist now?). Not sure where it falls in comparison to their previous 2-3 albums, but after 4 or 5 listens straight through I think I really like it. From the wall of sound synths to the female vocal harmonies to Matt Sharp's whispery voice, it's totally a Rentals album.
ReplyDelete