Sunday, March 15, 2015

Jose Gonzalez - Vestiges and Claws

I've been anticipating the release of the new Jose Gonzalez's album since I first read and listened to 'Every Age' on NPR last year. 

My HS friend first introduced me to Jose Gonzalez more than 10 years ago, when he debuted his Veneer album and watched him perform at the Bowery Ballroom.

His latest  album, Vestiges and Claws, isn't really a departure from his previous albums ... I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. My favorite tracks do include his signature clapping beat and feature his guitar more distinctly:
Let It Carry You
Leaf Off _The Cave
Every Age
I do prefer the songs in the beginning as it tapers off towards the end. It does leave me wanting a little more. I'm between a 3.5 and 4 for this album but I'm a little biased ... wanting to like it more.

dl: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bz476mnkmef5mse/AAC3uSaLJ2usp3RM0FBeKDIea?dl=0

2 comments:

  1. I've been a fan of Jose Gonzalez since first hearing Veneer. As you say, this album is more of the same, but I happen to like that. A solid 4 for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Jose Gonzales before this. I think it's been a good introduction. My favourite tracks were "Stories We Build, Stories We Tell", "The Forest" and the instrumental one, "Vissel".

    ReplyDelete