Sunday, March 1, 2015

Pharrell Williams - G I R L

I nearly reviewed this album as my first in musooklub. It came out March 2014 and I had a review in April. Ultimately, I went with a different album that I thought would be more fun to review at the time. My past two turns I went with albums that were 4 and 2 years old respectively, and since this is the last weekend I can call this a newish album since it came out in the last year, it's time to review. Also, since he co-opted the Vulcan sign for his Star Trak label, it is a fitting tribute to Leonard Nimoy after his passing this week.

I like this album. I think Pharrell has progressed a lot as a singer. The first time I heard the 2013 song, "Get Lucky" I wanted to know who it was; I didn't recognize his voice. On this album, he's more ambitions with his vocals. While on an earlier album I think he would have let Justin Timberlake, as the better vocalist, take the lead on a song, on the second track of this album he is on even footing with Timberlake,

After listen to the album again to write this review, the beginning of the album has an early 80's feel, especially the rap bits in "Hunter". The silly Malcolm McLaren hat makes a little more sense now.  After the first four tracks, the songs bounce around in time period influences from the 50's to the 90's, but they all have a retro feel from a doo-wop to funk to disco. Upon relistening, I may have given him a bit too much credit on vocals. Also the first four tracks felt over-produced. That is fine for his new school hip hop work, but leaves too much on the table for a true retro feel. The infectious "Happy" is the best song on the album, and I can get into a groove on "Gust of Wind" and "Gush".

Download https://www.dropbox.com/sh/va40sb5356kk2cy/AABMi7-y4Tey9bYP3ncfrqlja?dl=0

2 comments:

  1. Track #9 ("Who You Are") is only 64kB, did it upload correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it has been played and covered to death, "Happy" makes me smile every time it comes on the radio. I was going to say something along of the lines of 'defying anyone to keep their feet still when they hear it' but I'm sure that would be taken as a challenge around this neighbourhood :-)

    ReplyDelete