Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Alt-J's Awesome Wave, is the album that got me into this club - which I am super honored to be joining!  I had the pleasure to sit next to Raman at one of those 20-people random dinners where you're lucky if you know one other person.  For some reason, I referenced this album and we started talking about music discovery and here we are.

This album is beautiful - especially when you listen to it from front cover to back, not skipping a page.  It's especially good in the winter. Each song bleeds into the next and the band takes you on a moody journey. The melodies are dense with layer upon layer - its a bit folky, a bit dub-poppy, a bit bluesy at times. Despite the sometimes complex sounds, the band keeps their songs simple and beautiful.

I love the softer sounding songs. My ears absolutely love 'Ms' which captures the essence of the band and how they create textures with sounds.  The next runner up for me is Matilda. If you have the chance definitely check out some of the band's music videos on YouTube.  Their music videos are just as interesting as some of their sounds. 

There is something for everyone on this album.  Here's the link to the album on Spotify. Or DL here.



2 comments:

  1. Welcome Mukta!

    You know what? I was listening to ALT J right when I opened your post. Not this album, though. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    Laurent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started the album. My itinerary today (MEM/DTW/LAX) (Blues/Motown/Red Hot Chili Peppers?) got severely jacked-up & I can already tell Alt-J is gonna be a welcome travel companion.

    ReplyDelete