Sunday, October 5, 2014

Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

hello musook-lovers, Raman here jumping in early since we're in a bit of schedule disarray (more on that later). this post is semi-appropriately timed, as Monsieur York (lead guy for a tiny speed metal trio named Radiohead) is English, and i happen to be in London, Eng-o-land, for work right now.


Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, a solo release by Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, recently made headlines for being sold via Bit Torrent, which (i'm told) is how/where people obtain things online in a totally legal manner. a few years earlier, Thomy-boy made headlines by selling the then-current Radiohead album (In Rainbows) online in a "pay what you like" basis (they averaged ~$7 USD). so this release strategy is no surprise.

ANYWHO - this one certainly does not disappoint. per his modus operandi, Thom moans to hip electronic beats, remixes, and you find yourself walking the streets listening and looking through a surreal lens. not necessarily original (by the standard of his previous releases), but still very-much enjoyed. a solid 4, which i'm sure i'll soon upgrade to a 4.5, bc that's just how i roll.

have at it!

https://app.box.com/s/ma00860kqii42e1jyh19

4 comments:

  1. I liked this album but as you say it doesn't stray too far from his "formula". I give it a 3, but like you I might bump it up another halfsie if it hangs around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Radiohead, they sound familiar ;)
    Now, I am not a big fan of the electro minimalist change of Thom (I must say that I have not listened to his previous album, The Eraser)
    I still do like the global weird uneasy atmosphere it conveys, especially in songs like Guess Again, or Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, but from my point of view, it looses its "grandeur" (how we say in French).
    Like some electro music, the songs turn a bit repetitive, going nowhere (like for instance The Mother Lode).
    So, it is a disapointment for me. I don´t say that Thom Yorke has to do what Radiohead does. But, I like way better the Radiohead style than Yorke´s album.
    Normally, it should probably be 2.5 but, because of my expectations, I give him a 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As these guys said, really.

    However, I did enjoy it more than hist last few, so it's got that going for it.

    3

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some great moments, but not a lot of great songs. Still love Thom, though. I'll always be there for you, Thom.

    ReplyDelete