Monday, September 29, 2014

Friends of Ben - All I Am Sure Of Is All That I See

Hi! We interrupt your regularly scheduled Musooklub... errm schedule to bring you a post that isn't.
Raman had an unexpected hole in the calendar this afternoon. I already had a bit of an idea of what I was going to post in my turn in a couple of weeks so I volunteered to fill in.

So for that reason and another, this post, like the EP I'm about to tell you about, is going to be a bit on the short side. The other reason is that this band hasn't been around long enough for there to be too much to write about!


“Friends of Ben” is a local band and is my latest music discovery. According to their Facebook page, the group formed in 2010 and they made a small handful singles (two of which, “Eunioa” and “Dog & The House”, I've tacked onto the end of the download) in the years after before releasing their debut EP in May this year. I was out and about in Brisbane recently when one of their posters caught my interest. I had a bit of a google a few days later and I found them on Triple J's Unearthed, which is a project of one our state owned radio stations to 'dig up' new Australian alternative music. As it happens Friends of Ben is also one of the current artists in residence at a bar in town and they are performing there next week. I'm going along to listen, I'm curious to see how their sound survives the translation to live music. I'm hopeful, but worst case scenario, this bar has some really great beers and cocktails. Should you ever find yourself at Room 60, I highly recommend the chilli ginger beer!

Anyway - to the music :-)

“All I Am Sure Of Is All That I See” is an EP of four tracks prefaced by a strange little 1:50 long prelude. The band describe their music as “intelligent and emotional pop”. I'd buy the first two parts, but I'd question the “pop” descriptor – I think the music is more laid back than that. The lead singer's voice sometimes reminds me of Julian Casablancas'. I might just let you at the music and you can decide for yourselves – with a running time of barely 19 minutes, it won't take you long to get through it :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7o1qrur00fwcfcq/Friends%20Of%20Ben.zip?dl=0

Scoring this one was a bit tricky for me, but in the end I settled on a 3.5. There just didn't seem to be enough music to hit a 4, but I like a bit more than a decent/average 3. I'm interested to see what Friends of Ben get up to next.

3 comments:

  1. Other than the out-of-place opening, I enjoyed this sampling enough that I'd want to hear a full album. I will be intrigued to hear about the live gig this Thursday to see if they can match it in a live venue. I heard some brass in that album, fingers crossed it's there live too. Maybe you can report back after you've heard them?

    Like you say it's not enough music to give it a really high rating, I went with 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I really like their sound. They remind me a lot of Beach House.
    They haven't invented much but they do produce some very pleasant music.
    They are not inventive enough to reach 4, but I easily give them 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this album, but haven't listened to it since. Gets a 2 from me.

    ReplyDelete