The answer to that question is both unclear (read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Onyeabor) as well as the title to an album released last year that I keep listening to because it's funky. The most obvious comparator is Fela Kuti, because both deal in the realm of funk, are very political, and are from Nigeria, but Mr. Onyeabor's music is a bit more stripped down and synth heavy. I was going to subject you all to Phish's latest, which I bought on vinyl even though I don't own a record player, but the digital download is nowhere to be found. Yet. Maybe next cycle, if I'm still doing this.
Enjoy.
And ask yourself: why go to war?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9qh0ewgwvagw5xs/AACg82tFVM5UdpZOmKE7X49Ea?n=1529299
I am really enjoying this one. Nice work.
ReplyDelete3.5/5
Delete1. I am enjoying the funk out of this album. 2. Thank you for not forcing me to listen to Phish. 3. Good Name sounds a lot like a really good New Order song 4. Can I give this 6/5 stars?
ReplyDelete5/5 So good, please give me more.
Nice sound, very characteristics of a period. It moves me to The Party's (Blake Edward's movie) atmosphere. Now, it 's kind of repetitive and sometimes, and because of the length of each track, it tends to look like some waiting room music. In some songs, we can perceive more the African roots, like in Why go to war. If I don't pay too much attention to the song, it is OK, but if I want to focus on the song I get bored by the repetition of the rhythm. I like it when the vocals interrupt the rhythm. I think that the title I like the most is Atomic Bomb, even if it is a bit lengthy, while I get bored while listening the the first 7 min of Good Name (the end of the song, more African, is pretty very nice!).
ReplyDeleteIt's good to a listen for a while when you have friends over at home, although, it might seems after 30 minutes that you have listened to one single song 10 times ;) and after one hour, it gets long.
3/5 for the genuine sound
I'm partial to funk so this album had me interested right from the start, but after the first run-through I found myself agitated with the sound of the synth; so much so that I was prepared to write-off the album after only one listen. But that night a riff from one of the songs was going round and round in my head so after a few days of ear-rest I gave the album another go. I enjoyed it more the second time, and after several more cycles I'm finding I'm enjoying it much more than I initially did. Definitely a bit repetitive, but a solid 2.5 for me (an extra 0.5 for the ear-worm on the first night!).
ReplyDelete