It's awesome to have the MusicKlub back in action since having a group of people (and a friendly but task master oriented moderator) to share new and interesting bands is more fun than trying to find new bands by yourself.
The band I want to share is one that most people probably heard of first thru their YouTube video cover of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know", which has had millions of views. But behind the somewhat gimmicky approach that they have developed on YouTube is a talented group of musicians that seem to genuinely love what they do.
R.E.V.O. is their first full length album of primarily original music. While not every song on here is great, there are some really good tunes including Red Hands, Gang of Rhythm and Summer Vibe This is fun band that happens to have more substance than you would expect. Hope you find something on the album that you enjoy!

Bio from WOTE Website
Walk Off The Earth is an unconventional, multi-talented five-piece musical
phenomena that is currently taking the world by storm. Based in Burlington,
Ontario (just outside of Toronto), their brilliant 5-people-playing-one-guitar
interpretation of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" recently exploded on
Youtube garnering well over 35 million views in under 2 weeks. The massive fan
response quickly drew attention to their collection of innovative songs and
videos spanning their last 5 years and generated an unprecedented flood of media
interest. New fans from around the world immediately fell in love with the
band's organic, independent, sincere and honest original songwriting, cover
interpretations and beautifully filmed videos. For the past 5 years, the band
has built a massive following of dedicated fans from around the world through
their unique and heartwarming approach to songwriting, filming and constant,
open interaction with everyone their music touches.
The chemistry between the members of Walk Off The Earth is undeniable. Marshall, Sarah and Gianni's individual vocal stylings mesh seamlessly with Taylor's haunting harmonies and keys all the while soaring over epic melodic arrangements held together by Joel Cassady's driving and prolific percussion work. Their independent spirit, unstoppable work ethic and awe-inspiring creativity has catapulted Walk Off The Earth into new and uncharted waters with only bigger and better things on the horizon.
The chemistry between the members of Walk Off The Earth is undeniable. Marshall, Sarah and Gianni's individual vocal stylings mesh seamlessly with Taylor's haunting harmonies and keys all the while soaring over epic melodic arrangements held together by Joel Cassady's driving and prolific percussion work. Their independent spirit, unstoppable work ethic and awe-inspiring creativity has catapulted Walk Off The Earth into new and uncharted waters with only bigger and better things on the horizon.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2aeeinoncvbgrr/01%20Revo.zip
Patton Oswalt recently had a stand-up bit about getting older and how he handles certain styles of music. What it boils down to is this: When he was young and in his 20's, he would spend a ridiculous amount of time yelling about, arguing about, and just generally being hyper-critical about styles of music that he did not care for. But now, in his early 40's, he finds that there are no longer any styles of music that he "hates" and behaves that way because of, but that there are now simply styles of music and bands that he does not listen to.
ReplyDeleteWhile I'm not quite 40 yet, I think I can hang with this philosophy: This is not a band that I will listen to more than the one time that is required of me. 1/5
Spot on.
DeleteI usually like indie music. But I would not know how to qualify it. Listening to R.E.V.O., I kind of understood better what is pop independent because it is what R.E.V.O. isn't.
ReplyDeleteRevo reminds me some nice music for holidays or car commercial or maybe teen movie soundtrack, with lots of young good looking kids jumping in the swimming pool. A kind of boys band that sings together. This is the piece that is bothering me: a lot of kids, singing together the same thing like in a choir. And this is very true in Shake for instance, but globally in most of their songs, except maybe Summer vibe. I am generally fine with the beginning of the songs, but when comes the chorus, I find that lame with a very simple melody.
About Somebody that I used to know: reminds me of Sting. Which is not always a good or a bad thing
1.5
When I saw the name of this band something twigged in the back of my mind, but I couldn't with any great clarity recall why. I was excited, there was something about the name...but nothing. I stuck it on...the first few tracks were pretty bad, but I was prepared to cut them some slack because, well, excited. I listened to a few more...more than half the album goes by. Really terrible.
ReplyDeleteThen track 7 comes on and it hits me. These were the guys that did a cover of the awesome Gotye track 'Someone that I used to know', but all on the same guitar. Awesome song, awesome cover. Terrible album.
When the best track on the album is someone else's, it's time to quit.
1/5
Actually, I'm upgrading my rating to 1.5 because I just saw the fantastic band photo and a pretty blonde has got to be worth half a point.
DeleteNo wait...the two douche bags either side of her incur a half point penalty each.
That's a .5 from me. Lock it in.
i give this one a resounding "meh" - not bad, not great either. but i can see the appeal after a few more listens.
ReplyDeletebut my mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, you should SHUT THE F*** UP AND DO YOUR MATH HOMEWORK.
***my mom...she had a mouth like a sailor!
It was just ok for me, not my cup of tea. Within the album, I liked Somebody I used to know maybe b/c of the familiarity of the song. Summer Vibe was nice..
ReplyDeletepleasant, but i sensed no originality
ReplyDeleteOh man, I've been unfair. While I agree with all of the above, on repeated listenings I have enjoyed many of the tracks on this album. Let this be a lesson to us all - don't review angry!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the vocal arrangements on this album. None of the artist stood out to me, but I liked their approach to blending the vocal parts.
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time classifying this album. It is mostly pop country, but along with a banjo, I'm hearing a ukelele and reggae tempo and delivery. I knew they weren't American, a little surprised they were Canadian rather than European. It seems like other Europeans will experiment with mixing style of music, and definitely don't mind overproduction. The only exception was the stripped Gotye cover. It blended okay with me.
I liked the album. Would have given it a 3, but a random reference to a co-founder of the Black Panther Party was worth 0.5 to me. That's 3.5.
I fell behind on my musooklub listening a while back so I've been working backwards through the albums I missed. It's convenient we've had a recent lull in activity (I hope it's simply musooklub taking a breather and not its second death!), I'm catching up on quite a few.
ReplyDeleteI downloaded REVO at work last Tuesday and it's been looping in the background ever since. I've probably heard it fifteen times now, albeit in the background, but the fact it's still queued-up says something. I'm really enjoying the album, it's a keeper for me.
My favourite songs are "Gang of Rhythm", "Speeches", "Sometimes", and "Somebody That I Used To Know". I've only just now listened to the Gotye original, it's a pretty true-to-the-original cover which I find a bit disappointing. I like covers to add something unique. The video clip is nice, though...five players on one guitar is a neat trick.
I give this album 4.