I had a record in mind for this post, stopped by the record store to buy it and it wasn't there. In principle I don't buy records online, so I just fell back to my favorite album of the past six months.
First, about me. I'm a process engineer in Northeast Ohio. Five years ago I used to listen to a lot more music, though not as much now. The new music I listen to is usually either on the radio, from my brother, DJ AG, pushing me new music, and this blog. I also use slacker radio instead of Pandora because it will have new songs or albums to listen to. Richard also introduced us to NPR's First Listen so that may be something else I will try. My first introduction to musooklub was in version 1 when Raman shared my college teammates indy pop rock band debut, self-titled album Team Genius.
Second, this album was special because it wrapped up Eminem's career so perfectly that some people assumed it was a retirement album (it's not). It bookend his major labor career as I thought his first two major release albums were great, his next 4 albums were terrible, then his most recent two, "Recovery" and "Marshall Mathers LP 2" finally demonstrated the rapper he was always supposed to become. Though his career tragetory suffered from his drug abuse and he will never be as relevent in hip hop as he could have been, I appreciate musically that he overcame his addiction to make his last two albums, and especially this one.
The most puzzling thing to me was the marketing. Released on November 5, 2013, it missed the Grammy window that closed September 30th. He already has 13, and obviously isn't too worried about getting any more. He did release the album before the Christmas season, with the associated sales, but instead of trying to keep the album relevant for as long as possible, he released the second, third, and fourth singles within a month or so all those plus the first single "Bezerk" were all rising on the charts at the same time. The last time that happened, it was much more organically by the vastly popular boy band The Beatles. Also, he hasn't toured much to support the album, now nearly 6 month old. Three shows in Australia, two shows in South Africa are done. He is going to three musical festivals this year, and doing 6 shows in 3 cities. Not exactly pushing himself to the touring limits.
For the music, its a 5. This is a hip hop classic that can be listened to from front to back. Favorite tracks are Rap God, Bad Guy, Love Game, Headlights and Rhyme or Reason. He make a lot of references to old school hip hop and reflects on missteps in his life and career, without apologizing for any of it. I think it is accessible enough that most people here can appreciate it.
MP3: https://app.box.com/s/7z9fi63x15y1s4uyc8io
WMA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4876nv24zoa50f6/The%20Marshall%20Mathers%20LP%202.zip
First, about me. I'm a process engineer in Northeast Ohio. Five years ago I used to listen to a lot more music, though not as much now. The new music I listen to is usually either on the radio, from my brother, DJ AG, pushing me new music, and this blog. I also use slacker radio instead of Pandora because it will have new songs or albums to listen to. Richard also introduced us to NPR's First Listen so that may be something else I will try. My first introduction to musooklub was in version 1 when Raman shared my college teammates indy pop rock band debut, self-titled album Team Genius.
Second, this album was special because it wrapped up Eminem's career so perfectly that some people assumed it was a retirement album (it's not). It bookend his major labor career as I thought his first two major release albums were great, his next 4 albums were terrible, then his most recent two, "Recovery" and "Marshall Mathers LP 2" finally demonstrated the rapper he was always supposed to become. Though his career tragetory suffered from his drug abuse and he will never be as relevent in hip hop as he could have been, I appreciate musically that he overcame his addiction to make his last two albums, and especially this one.
The most puzzling thing to me was the marketing. Released on November 5, 2013, it missed the Grammy window that closed September 30th. He already has 13, and obviously isn't too worried about getting any more. He did release the album before the Christmas season, with the associated sales, but instead of trying to keep the album relevant for as long as possible, he released the second, third, and fourth singles within a month or so all those plus the first single "Bezerk" were all rising on the charts at the same time. The last time that happened, it was much more organically by the vastly popular boy band The Beatles. Also, he hasn't toured much to support the album, now nearly 6 month old. Three shows in Australia, two shows in South Africa are done. He is going to three musical festivals this year, and doing 6 shows in 3 cities. Not exactly pushing himself to the touring limits.
For the music, its a 5. This is a hip hop classic that can be listened to from front to back. Favorite tracks are Rap God, Bad Guy, Love Game, Headlights and Rhyme or Reason. He make a lot of references to old school hip hop and reflects on missteps in his life and career, without apologizing for any of it. I think it is accessible enough that most people here can appreciate it.
MP3: https://app.box.com/s/7z9fi63x15y1s4uyc8io
WMA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4876nv24zoa50f6/The%20Marshall%20Mathers%20LP%202.zip
Why are you so angry, Eminem?
ReplyDeleteI gave this two listens. His rhymes and endurance are really impressive, but there are times on the album that just grate on me. I don't know what kind of mood I'd have to be in in order to fully appreciate this album, but unfortunately this hit me at a time where I'm not really into being yelled at in quite this fashion... I'm going to give it 2.5/5 with the option to revisit it at a later date...
beginning of the album is a turn off, but then it picks back up towards the middle, and brings me in with those sweet, sweet hooks (the rhymes aren't bad either).
ReplyDeletebut yea, Ems (that's what his friends call him*) has got some anger issues he should probably look into, despite his mad-dope skillz**.
*they don't.
**that's what the kids are saying these days***
***they aren't.
for you Mssr. Butler.
ReplyDeletehttp://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
This is amazing. Now I can quantify hip-hop.
DeleteMan that police siren and chase sample is getting tired...
ReplyDeleteI quite enjoyed Eminem's first two albums but have been disappointed by everything he's done since. As Derrick says, this album is a return to form. It took a few plays but there's at least as many good songs on this album as there are bad.
Favourite tracks are Love Game, Rap God and So Far. As usual, Eminem's angry and funny tracks are his best work. His sappy songs, not so much.
A solid 3 from me.
The anger and extreme emotions make this tough for me to listen to, even though I recognize there is talent with Eminem. 2 out of 5
ReplyDeleteAs with Andy, I can appreciate the talent but this man is just too angry for me to enjoy the art. 2 out of 5.
ReplyDeleteI just started watching The Sopranos for the first time. (Don't tell me how it ends!) I listen to this and I can't help but think that, like Tony, Mr. Mathers would benefit from professional help and/or medication. And yet, I like it. Not all of it, but he can be funny, uses some interesting/clever samples, and has help from some great artists.
ReplyDeleteI just started watching The Sopranos for the first time. (Don't tell me how it ends!) I listen to this and I can't help but think that, like Tony, Mr. Mathers would benefit from professional help and/or medication. And yet, I like it. Not all of it, but he can be funny, uses some interesting/clever samples, and has help from some great artists.
ReplyDeleteI just started watching The Sopranos for the first time. (Don't tell me how it ends!) I listen to this and I can't help but think that, like Tony, Mr. Mathers would benefit from professional help and/or medication. And yet, I like it. Not all of it, but he can be funny, uses some interesting/clever samples, and has help from some great artists.
ReplyDeletetrying to play catch up - so I ended up listening to bits and pieces of this album since it was a bit heavy for me at times ... overall, very talented and finding new ways to re-invent himself, while still keeping to his style. I appreciated it but not something I would really turn to listen to.
ReplyDelete