Monday, March 24, 2014

Damien Jurado: Brothers And Sisters Of The Eternal Son

Hello Party People,

I have enjoyed my membership in the exclusive, elusive musooklub so far, and look forward to hearing even more new music.

I'm going to share with you all what I think is a great way, musooklub or no musooklub, to learn about great new music, and it's how I learned about the album I'm going to share with you all this week.  You may have heard of it.  It's called NPR.  To be more specific, it's NPR's "First Listen."  They post full albums, often just as or even before they're being released, they pull from a fairly wide range of styles, and by George you can find some darn good stuff there.

The most interesting album of late I've heard courtesy of our dear friends at NPR is Damien Jurado's "Brothers And Sisters Of The Eternal Son."  It's produced by Richard Swift, who is now with the Shins.  I'm not exactly sure what category to put it in, which I'm just fine with.  What I've tracked down of his since listening to this album--I'd never heard of him before--sounds nothing like this, which I'm also just fine with.  He did a set for NPR's Tiny Desk Concert series--another great source of new music--that's just him solo acoustic.  You'll realize quickly this is far afield from that sound.

I hope you like it.

You can stream it for free here:

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/05/259143049/first-listen-damien-jurado-brothers-and-sisters-of-the-eternal-son

8 comments:

  1. do i get a tote bag for listening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. free tote bags every time you visit the site. listening = four totes. tote mayhem.

      Delete
  2. Nice pop - folk bright music. Good involving sound. Reminds me of Fleet Foxes. Pleasant to listen. But, not extraordinary.
    And I did not no know that NPR First listen to discover new artists. Thanks for the tip!
    3.5. If they had given me a tote bag, it would a have been a 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, I like it more and more and I'll give it a 4, without the tote

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to this about 3 or 4 times at work, so I don't know if that qualifies as really "listening" to it, as my attention was on other matters. That said, I did enjoy this album. Pleasant to listen to, nice songwriting, slightly melancholy (in a positive way), and not overly depressing for this style of music. Reminds me one Magnolia Electric Co. 3.5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have not heard that album. will rectify that asap.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed listening to this one - rich, engaging and a little rustic feel to it (4)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damien's music is easy to listen to and has some good parts. However, it's also not extremely catchy or memorable for my tastes. 3 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete