The first time I took the effort to examine Cut Copy's music in depth was in 2011, when they came to perform in North Carolina. I was graduate student in Durham at the time and it was always fun to get a party bus to go to Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill for concerts with my classmates. Prior to this performance, I was only familiar with some of their more well known songs but watching these Australian four guys in concert really transformed my opinion of them. I have mad respect for bands who can deliver a superlative live shows. That makes them more than just artists. It makes them performers. Entertainers. Gods.
In the weeks following the Cut Copy concert on that hot sweaty summer evening in North Carolina, I listened to their songs with greater attention. I believe that Cut Copy are prolific and melodic in a way that sets them apart from their peer group (Chromeo, Passion Pit and the like). In Ghost Colors, not their most recent but probably their most representative album in terms of sound and flavor is what I'd like to share with you this week on Musooklub. I give it a wholesome 4.
My favorite songs:
- Unforgettable Season: The best accompaniment to wandering any city. I've had this playing on my iPod or phone when I've been wandering the streets of Amsterdam, where I went on exchange from business school, on the sprawling Duke campus, walking back and forth from my car and most recently, loitering around in farmers markets. Tried and tested. Safe for use in wandering anywhere.
- Feel The Love: If you have even the slightest penchant for the disco fever era with a modern twist, you'll love the spirit of this song. Serves well as the first song of the day, on your drive to work or a general pick me up.
- Nobody Lost, Nobody Found: Much like its title, this song is a little bit darker, a wee bit less uplifting than the rest of the album. A bit Waiting for Godot-esque in its theme and lyrics. To wit: Staring at a silver sun/I'm blinded/I can see you almost in my town/Nothing but a seat of blue/Separating seasons/And I think of you. The lyrics match the melody too and form a great segue into the last number, Eternity One Night Only.
Like many of you, I was on the first installment of this musical experiment we call Musooklub a few years ago. Back then I lived and worked in Bangalore, at a start-up, applying to business school. I then moved to the US to get my MBA and I now work as a product manager at a small Redmond based technology company some of you may have heard of. I live in Seattle and get equally healthy doses of delicious cocktails, farm to table style restaurants and excellent, vibrant music (starting with The Dandy Warhols all the way to the end of the spectrum with Lady Gaga - May 28, Key Arena - who I have deep admiration for). If you're ever in this part of the world, do look me up.

Nice post man, I'm looking forward to listening to this album.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Where do we grab the album??
ReplyDeleteI did not like dance / electronic music at home. But my idea changed with that album. I think it is really some great music that you can listen at home too, and it makes you happy.
ReplyDeleteGreat recommendation!
this album made me happy, but at the same time also made me feel old...lol. 4.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis is a thoroughly delightful listening experience. I've listened to it twice now and I may just listen to it some more. Over the past couple years I've actively attempted to listen to more electronic/dance-able music and this will be a welcome addition to my LCD Soundsystem and Neon Indian albums. Thanks! I give it 4 out of 5.
ReplyDeletehttps://app.box.com/s/5ak5t35s0b9axejfemca
ReplyDeleteEnjoyable (4/5). I've heard Hearts on Fire single before so it was nice to give it some context to the rest of the album. Overall, it seemed slightly mellower than the singles from their debut album Bright Like Neon Love (Time Stands Still and Saturdays) - now I'd like to listen to the rest of that one.
ReplyDeleteIn 2005, I was a D.C. guy briefly in London, so I went to see my D.C. hometown boys Thievery Corporation. After a great show I wanted still more music, so I went to a music venue I'd been to once before, without looking at who was there. I walked in at the end of a set by Cut Copy. I was blown away by what I saw, and have been a fan since. (Though I have not seen them since, unfortunately.) I had not heard this, and I'm glad you chose it.
ReplyDeleteJust checked their site. On tour, but nowhere near us. If they're near you, musooklub people, go!
http://www.cutcopy.net/
I listened to it on the way to work, then promptly forgot it ever existed. Seriously, I couldn't even hum a single tune I'd heard. I'll give it another go in a few weeks, but it didn't take my fancy.
ReplyDelete2
This is not the kind of music I typically listen to or enjoy, but I have to admit after a few listens that I really liked this. It's great music to run to being upbeat but I also appreciated that there was a strong sense of melody with some catchy hooks as well.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to have something a bit different to listen to that I like - 4 stars!