Monday, August 2, 2010

Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic



John recommends Antifogmatic by Punch Brothers.


About Punch Brothers

From Wikipedia:
Punch Brothers are a bluegrass band consisting of Chris Thile (mandolin), Gabe Witcher (fiddle/violin), Noam Pikelny (banjo), Chris Eldridge (guitar), and Paul Kowert (bass). Bryan Sutton has also filled in on guitar when necessary. Their style has been described as introducing "bluegrass instrumentation and spontaneity in the structures of modern classical.
Thile is perhaps better known from his time with a previous band, Nickel Creek.

Why I Chose Antifogmatic

I saw Chris Thile perform with an early incarnation of Punch Brothers a few years back in Chattanooga, and I was blown away by the show. One unexpected highlight was a bluegrass cover of "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground." I was a fan of Nickel Creek before they broke up, so when I heard about Antifogmatic, I had to check it out. I was not disappointed.

The stellar musicianship is reason enough to recommend this album, but it's also just plain fun to listen to. It's not all that similar to the Avett Brothers, but if you liked that album, you will probably enjoy this as well.

Favorite tracks:
  • Rye Whiskey
  • Don't Need No

More of my Musical Taste

My other favorite records this year have been High Violet by The National, Transference by Spoon and (pending another listen or two) The Suburbs by Arcade Fire.

More About Me

What's new? My older daughter's entering first grade. My wife and I spent six days in Tulum, Mexico, in June to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. And if someone would have brought our children and my Mac down there, I don't think we'd be back in Tennessee.

5 comments:

  1. This album was freakin awesome! These guys are amazing. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was a fan of Nickel Creek so was excited to see how Chris Thile had gone with this band. I also enjoyed this album with favorite tracks being Don't Need No and Rye Whiskey. Great technical musicianship combined with fun, strong songwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this album was a total shock. I've got in the habit of only reading posts *after* I've spent some time listening to the album (so I don't have any preconceptions), so when I first heard this I had no idea what to expect -- I was very pleasantly surprised, this album is great!

    It's a bit of a cross between Bela Fleck and the Soggy Bottom Boys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdCpqPs_UI), I'm a fan now. 4.5 stars for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3.5
    i'm way behind on ratings/reviews - but despite having listened to this album numerous times way back when it was posted, really had trouble getting hooked into it. it took me awhile to really start to see (hear?) the differences between tracks - but when i did, i really started to smile.

    this is probably one of the rare albums where i like the latter 1/3 of the album more than the first 2/3. it really gets blue-grassy towards the end as the tempo picks up. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, after a few more (recent) listens - this is getting bumped up to a 4. solid music - lyrics, arrangements, etc.

    ReplyDelete