Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cordrazine - Always Coming Down


Download - http://drop.io/cordrazine


About the band...

Wikipedia tells me these guys formed in the mid-90's in Melbourne, Australia and released their debut album, From Here To Wherever, in 1998 to much critical acclaim. The album got to number 9 on the ARIA Album Charts (it's big in Australia) and the biggest single from the album, Crazy, was voted number 17 on Triple J's Hottest 100 for 1997*. In response to their meteoric rise the band decided to call it quits. They ceased to be. Gone. They were an ex-band.

Until now. This year they re-formed to release their MUCH anticipated (by me) follow-up album, Always Coming Down.

The band has a unique sound which mixes blues, folk, pop-rock and sheer-bloody-awesomeness. They're made up of the standard drums, guitar, bass, vocals set-up but frequently include horns, pipes, Hammond organ and a healthy dose of sheer-bloody-awesomeness. Lead singer Hamish Cowan's voice gets most of the attention - once you hear it you'll understand why.

*Interesting sidebar...Triple J is an Australian radio station operated by the tax payer funded Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). Their annual music poll is claimed to be the largest in the world, receiving over a million votes in recent years. Their annual album, Triple J's Hottest 100, is often a great snapshot for decent music over the year.

Why I Picked This Album...

Cordrazine's debut album was an icon of my late teen years. Had I the means I would have followed the band around the country going to every gig, waited for them outside of each venue, and harassed hotel staff until they told me which room they were staying in. If marrying an album were legal, From Here To Wherever would have been my album-bride.

Now imagine my disappointment, nay - my complete and utter despair - when I discovered that not only had the band broken up, but they had disbanded almost a full year before I even knew they existed! John Hughes films are made of such tragedies!

But not all was lost. After years (and years) of pining, the band has finally answered my hundreds of letters in the form of their new album. Always Coming Down is not as intense as their first album. But, as lead singer Hamish Cowan said to me in our recent correspondence when I pointed out that very fact, perhaps the Cordrazine of today is not as intense as the Cordrazine of yesteryear. It's still a great album though, very mellow.

About me...

I'm about to return to my home town, Brisbane (Australia) having lived in London for the past five years. I'm unemployed, I have an 8 week old baby, and a flat full of stuff to pack. So, to ensure I don't get too stressed, my family are all going to France for a while! Stress be damned!

4 comments:

  1. Here is link to a bunch of reviews about the album. They're on the bands' facebook page...

    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=617810337&v=wall&story_fbid=138715799500848#!/album.php?aid=19068&id=106471032716114

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a band I've been ignoring based only on their name. What's wrong with "Cordrazine"? Well nothing it turns out! I was very pleasantly surprised with this album, I was expecting to have my head blasted off but this is waaaay more mellow than I was anticipating. Me likely. 4 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3.5. good album, but what is it with you people and your mellow albums posts? Cordrazine makes the previous post (Punch Bros' Antifogomatic) feel like a banjo jamboree lovefest...that's bc it's partially much is)

    brings me back to my late highschool/early college days, where all i listened to was sad, sad music and draw pictures. then i got a girlfriend, job, and money (the latter 2 of which made my life sadder). hopefully i won't enter a true-sulky stage of life again where i'll need to dig this album out to sit in the corner with me.

    seriously though - while this album WAS a downer - it was a good downer, with some uplifting/oft-reflective movements + lyrics. "Sunshine" was a particular one that i like to hang my hat on. unfortunately "Some Day We'll Come Together" was a bit trite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good mellow, soulful album. I give 4/5.
    Is it just me or does the lead singer sound like a mellower Morissey, especially the 2nd half of the album?

    My favorite tracks were There's Much More For You, Keeping Warm, Moments Like Ours, Untitled.

    ReplyDelete