Sunday, July 18, 2010

the White Stripes - de Stijl.





why i picked it:
i've lately become a sucker for finding bands' older albums. 


considering my first Brendan Benson post was not his best (and not so popular with the group), i'm going to keep with tradition and bring the rest of you you down with me (until you see it my way)!


the White Stripes are nothing new (if anything, their sound is quite old). you've probably heard the hype, but rarely gave them a chance beyond a few singles on the airwaves. i too was that guy a few years ago. so i decided to see what the big deal was and got EVERY WS album. most of them sat on my computer, waiting. 


finally, several months ago (pre MusooKlub), worn out of the trendy/folksy synth/indie rock that was dominating my audio-consumption,  i took it upon myself burn some CDs and force them into my (pre-NPR) car rotation. i was quickly hooked.


rather than force you all the way back to their self-titled 1999 debut, we'll instead focus on their 2000 sophomore album - De Stijl - which has also quickly become a favorite of the Raman-rotation.


the thing i love about the White Stripes (in general) is how RAW they are. guitar. drums. vocals. and sometimes a piano. i often joke that now that i'm in (suburban NY) with no friends to play Rock Band, it's just my girlfriend  + i - like Jack + Meg White (who are ex's, so that's one of many places the parallels end) on the guitar + drums. but Kat does look pretty funny wailing about on the drums =)




favorites:
the first 1/2 of the album is just solid, so it's really hard to pick faves. here are a few though. 


#1: "you're pretty good looking" - the original mixtape kickoff for that girl you've got a crush on (sorry ladies, it's pretty gender specific)
#2: "hello operator" - makes you want to tap your feet and yell along (just not at work)
#3: "little bird" - makes you want to go mix it up and get into some trouble…
#4: "apple blossom" - a little ditty for a pretty girl.
#6: "death letter" - bluesy and cool.
#8: "truth doesn't make a noise" - early indication of Jack's piano passions (which later frequently shows up in the Raconteurs).
#10: "let's build a home" - just plain fun.
#11: "jumble jumble" - this one's a party anthem if there ever was one.


...and for good measure, i cheated, and added a "bonus track" to this club reco (from another WS album, Elephant):
#14: Well It's True That We Love One Another




personal updates:
most of you already know - but a few weeks ago i took my girlfriend Kathryn on an Ireland road trip. somewhere along the way, on a rainy, scenic overlook (after giving her a flower we later found out was poisonous) i finally convinced her to marry me =)  but that's a year or so away. so hopefully we can have our first MusooKlub meeting on Alaskan cruise ship. details are TBD.


other than that, i (still) do interweb-related stuff for a large company that sells soap. although now i do said strategeries for one of our "customers" (stores that sell our stuff) in suburban NJ, with the frequent commuter rail trips into the big bad city. but i'm really (still) figuring out what i really want to do with my life - whether it's as Ted Moseby or Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski (semi-obscure TV-career references)


what else? i (still) read a LOT of comic books - i'm far too excited for Scott Pilgrim book 6 (comes out this Tuesday!), and the pending (August!) Edgar Wright/Michael Cera film of the same name. and i like to travel. a LOT. the first goal was 7 continents by 30 and 50 states by 50, but those were too easy, so i've adjusted the goal such that i must keep BOTH my country and US-state count each greater than my age. 


i occasionally write silly things on my bloog.

7 comments:

  1. I find it funny that a non club member is the first to post (and not even about the music (welcome rohan, ben's kid brother in London). but if we ever DO get around to demoting members (you non-participating last-minuters know who you are...check the spreadsheet) to observer status, I think you'd be a great addition to the team (so long as you're good music inclined, continue to stay In the UK ....we're missing a euro-based opinion/reco, and continue to give me props ;)

    as for the loser teacher - prezbo's a loser MATH teacher making a difference in little drug dealer lives in the show's best season (and that counts for something, full pun intended). it beats selling soap for the man.

    besides, I haven't shot anyone or gotten kicked off the force.

    yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard this album yet, but I'm pretty sure it's against the klub rules to list 95% of the songs on the album as "your favourites"...I mean..."your favorites".

    ReplyDelete
  3. your mom is against the rules. learn how to spell (and do math) aussie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I agree, Ben. But I wouldn't have wanted to narrow those down either. Classic album - nice to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good album. Very classic White Stripesy. I've grown to like it more with more listens. This one falls between a 3.5 and 4 out of 5 for me.

    My favorites and the ones that pulled me in are: I'm Bound to Pack It Up, Truth Doesn't Make a Noise, and A Boy's Best Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See now Raman, if you'd turned on comment notifications I'd have seen your lengthy rant AGES ago and left a witty retort. As it is (nearly a month and a half later) I left my retort in my other pants.

    As for the album, I second Jieun's remark (and thereby legitimise 'white stripesy' as an adjective, although I'd have hyphenated it). First time I'd heard it but very easily placed in the ole White Stripes' timeline. I've always preferred their poppy stuff, Little Ghost, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying for a while but I can't get in to this one. It's like an album of jingles, some interesting ideas and sounds in a few of the tracks but they're all just too short. Where's the meat?

    I do like Little Bird, though.

    2 stars.

    ReplyDelete