Do you always feel like you are the last to know about cool stuff and can never stay a step ahead of, let alone keep pace with the cool kids?
Well I know I do- I'm friends with Raman afterall (I keed, I keed)...
Well I digress... I'm here to share with you a moment, probably the only moment in my life where I was there, I saw it, and I was a part of it. That's right I read a blogpost that gave birth to a new musical genre (the day it was posted no less!)- CHILLWAVE.
http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/2009/07/is-washed-out-the-next-neon-indianmemory-cassette.html
(and yes this blog post is almost a year old folks, so you can't be on the early train with me for this one... sorry)
For the uninitiated, Carles (the author) is crude, sarcastic and not for the faint of heart...
Although Chillwave hasn't exactly set the world on fire, I personally really dig it... it's heavy on synths, 80's influence and so shoegazer thrown in for good measure... All good things in my book.
Now, I know what you are thinking- how do I really know it was the original birthplace of the music genre? Because Wikipedia says so, dang it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillwave
Still don't believe me? Well the music experts (i.e. the Wall Street Journal) also back me up too.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/03/13/is-chillwave-the-next-big-music-trend/
And here is the HRO's hilarious response to the WSJ
http://altreport.hipsterrunoff.com/2010/03/wall-street-journal-covers-the-chillwave-genre.html
So with that I humbly submit to you Small Black a band out of NYC (Long Island). The guitarist also happens to be the brother in law of an agency partner (not vendor).
Songs I really dig: Dogs, Bad Lover, Weird Machines (i.e. the first three)
Overall 3.5
Bit more about me:
I'm coming up on 2 years in marriage with my wife Zena (who is completely out of my league, which isn't saying much, but she is just great... so take my word for it :-) ) We love to travel and recently returned from a fantastic trip to Greece and Turkey. We live in the 'Nati, home of a music scene that is in a bit of a renaissance lately with several bands receiving significant press (Bad Veins, The National, etc). As any good and proper Cincinnati person I love skyline, Terry's turf club, Aglamesis Ice Cream (Graeter's is ok too)...
man! this was... familiarly different, but i've come to expect that from bob =)
ReplyDeletethis album took me back to highschool. kind of the music you want in your ears wandering the city, subway, etc as a "life soundtrack" - or maybe just when getting over a heartbreak. it's the Cure (minus Robert Smith's whining) meets Thom York's post-KidA electronic experimentation, with some monotone microphone Strokes-esque vocals thrown in for good measure.
favorites include "despicable dogs", pleasant experience", "lady in the wires", and "king of animals" (these last 2 were fun pick-me ups towards the end)
4 out of 5. i'm a fan.
PS bob-
ReplyDelete1: yes, zena is way awesomer than you
2: you need to post your own rating of the EP on the spreadsheet
3: got any more chillwave to share w/ your buddy raman?
RaHman (as I've seen you addressed to in a semi-recent email :-), do hate that more than Ramen?)
ReplyDeleteAnyway, if you clickthrough the music expert (i.e. Wall street journal) link they actually have a bunch of chillwave artist's youtube videos/songs.
My personal fav is Neon Indian, they came through Cincy a couple weekends ago during the MPMF summer series and filled up fountain square. I picked up their LP, but had no way to digitize it, so I bought Small Blacks CD to post.
I'm glad you liked Small Black! :-)