Monday, May 24, 2010

Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

Susannah recommends Pinback - Summer in Abaddon.

DL: here

Why I like it:

A friend gave this album to me and I listened to it once and didn't think much more about it. I couple months later, I gave it another go, and another, and another. This album has to be listened to multiple times! It's engaging in a way that most albums these days aren't. I like the way the music builds up to a point and holds you there. It's a bit of a tease. I give it a 5 and my favorite track is 3x0. It emphasizes that building thing I mentioned.

About the band and album:

Pinback, from San Diego, CA, is made up of 2 primary members Armistead Burwell Smith IV (Zach) and Rob Crow. Pinback started as a part-time project and members appear to vacillate between the band and other commitments. Additionally the band members seem to rotate as well. Their out of date website describes the album thusly:

“In 2004, Pinback unveiled Summer in Abaddon, their debut record for Touch and Go. It was recorded by the duo in Zach's home studio over the course of 2003, and it truly captures Pinback's essence. Although it may seem like gentle pop music at first encounter, its brilliance is slowly revealed upon repeated listens. Songs are buoyant and lively at times, melancholy and dark at others, and always resonate with an underlying intensity. Between two musicians, Pinback lays out beautiful melodies that are deceptively complex, layering sounds and instruments upon one another and trading contrasting vocal parts with ease.”


About me:

For those that I haven't met, I'm a distracted doctoral student in Counselor Education. My primary identity is as a mental health counselor working with adults with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, what-have-you. The doctorate will allow me to teach at the masters level in a counseling program. Additionally, I'm getting married in August, so I'm also trying to plan a wedding. I love music, but rarely get a chance to listen to it much anymore. I've got an incredibly eclectic taste in music. I still love Rancid, Screeching Weasel, and Bad Religion but I balance it all out With Explosions in the Sky, Ani Difranco, and 90's pop stuff that shall not be named.

Why this download is labeled funny:

So, I apologize for being a day late (and a buck short) but my computer wouldn't do ANYTHING with this CD. Finally, I was able to "rip" the CD with Mediaplayer but it wouldn't do much more than get it onto my computer, which is more than Itunes would do. I'm hoping everyone can access it alright.

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoying this album on first listen. Thanks, Susannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... now I've put my finger on it! Bloods on Fire reminds me Simply Red! I don't know if any of you are familiar with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4. i instantly liked this album. tho i dunno why it took me so long to post a review.

    weird, fun, and lethargic at times. slowed down a little too much at the end, as if that's what they were supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed listening to this album. Engaging lyrics and diverse enough to keep my interest.
    I heard Fortress several times - good to hear the other songs in the album too.

    ReplyDelete