Sunday, May 30, 2010

Damien Jurado - Saint Bartlett

Dale recommends Damien Jurado - Saint Bartlett.
Download: http://drop.io/saintbartlett


Why I Like:  I saw Damien perform and while on a busniness trip. I was completely blown away by the musical talent and lyricism.


Fave Tracks: 01-Arkansas, 11-Rachel & Cali


About the Artist:  Urban folk singer/songwriter Damien Jurado quietly built up one of the strongest catalogs on the indie scene, earning high critical praise yet somehow never quite getting his proper due. Nick Drake had a definite impact on much of his work, but Jurado modeled his career on more idiosyncratic, unpredictable figures like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, or Randy Newman -- songwriters who followed their own muse wherever it took them, whether fans and critics agreed or not. His independent-mindedness was born at least in part from the influence of punk, and one of the results was a concern for emotional authenticity that led him to delve into other people's lives instead of his own. Many of Jurado's best songs spun concise, literate tales of quiet everyday despair, which often earned him comparisons to short story writer Raymond Carver. But his storytelling bent -- not to mention his ambivalence toward confessional material -- arose from a stronger grounding in traditional folk than spiritual compatriots like Elliott Smith or Cat Power. And with detours into pop, roots rock, full-fledged electric indie rock, and even found-sound experiments, Jurado ensured that his body of work was impossible to completely pin down. (amazon)


About Me:
I am bigger and blackerer (David Cross). Well, the Sehgal's refer to me as Mr. Cincinnati.
However that life is over and now I'm Mr. MOM (daughter born March 8th 2010). I live in the nasti nati and work for GE in the IT field. I love music, food (I grill all year, in any weather), and being a dad. I'm learning the world of parenthood requires having no schedule...thats why I'm up @ 1 AM writing this....(as my daughter starts the cry)....well more on the next round.


4 comments:

  1. I love Nick Drake and Neil Young so the sound of this album is comforting on first listen. Will share more developed views later. Thanks, Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with kaberi. COMFORTING is the right word. especially at first (and second and third) listen. felt like a lullaby all the way through, with the melancholic lyrics blending into the background of my subconscious.

    BUT it didn't particularly inspire me or keep me going/engaged. i think this is one i'll play on a redeye flight when the couple behind me won't shut up - to lull me into the sweet dreams that are only present as we ascent to 30k feet. so i'll give this one a 3.5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damien clearly has a lot of talent as a songwriter and is very good at building a mood in his music. My Favorite tracks were Arkansas, Josephine and Rachel and Cali. However, the challenge I had in listening to this album was that it was overall a bit to mellow, contemplating and even melancholy for my liking. I get the sense that Damien is the kind of songwriter that could have an amazing greatest hits album, but I can only give this particular one a 3 out of 5 because I didn't love the album all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed listening to this album - interesting and engaging. I didn't mind the mellowness - felt it captured the mood and added depth.
    My favorite tracks: Arkansas, Beacon Hill, Kansas City, Pear, Rachel & Cali.

    ReplyDelete