Sunday, April 18, 2010

Broken Bells - Broken Bells



















Jieun recommends Broken Bells - Broken Bells

Why I Like It:
I went back and forth whether to pick a new album or an older one. I went with the newer one. I try to listen to Ithaca College (WICB) Electric Revolution program every week where they showcase new music (sometimes hit or miss) - but last week I first heard High Road. Intrigued I listened to the rest of the album, which in opinion, is a pretty solid album, understandably from the duo's background ('Danger Mouse' and lead vocalist & guitarists for The Shins). It is overall indie rock but has a decent tempo range with some good lyrics, and you can definitely feel each artist's influence in the song.
I had to listen to it several times, since I have a habit of liking music initially and then the novelty wears off - but I still like it. That's about it - not much behind it.

As an aside, I was a little hesitant to recommend this one, as it seems like its getting lots of publicity, which I found out after I listened to the album - so I figured that it wouldn't really be new to most of you (I even saw it in Starbucks, I was a little ambivalent at that point). But, I hope you enjoy it.

About the Band: (source: wikipedia)
"American indie rock band featuring artist–producer Danger Mouse (billed by his real name, Brian Burton) and James Mercer, the lead vocalist and guitarist for the Portland indie rock band The Shins. The project was first announced on Tuesday, September 29, 2009.[1] The pair decided to work together after meeting at a Danish music festival in 2004 and finding they were fans of each other's work. Mercer and Burton began recording together in secret at Burton's Los Angeles-based studio in March 2008 and describe their material as "melodic, but experimental, too"."

Favorite Tracks:
Although their singles are High Road and Vaporize, I feel that their other ones are strong - if not stronger.
- Vaporize: has a Shins-y feeling
- Your Head is on Fire: nice ending
- The Ghost Inside (intricate)
- Trap Doors
- Citizen
- Mongrel Heart: strong lyrics, has a little bit of a majestic 'Kill Bill' feel to it
- The Mall & Misery: strong lyrics and good flow

About me:
My biggest musical influence was one my closest high school friends. She used to make me mix tapes. One of them, she sent me a Radiohead mix, which was by accident (she was actually hers). I listened to Fitter Happier, intrigued and half worried that she was putting subliminal messages in her tapes (hah). After that and discovering indie/college radio in Ithaca (during my college years), my musical tastes have evolved and continue to evolve. I'm a little of a dabbler when it comes to music, but most generally they tend to be more indie-ish, rock, sometimes a little folky, and sometimes from the UK, Danish or Sweedish (Radiohead, Travis, Grizzly Bear, Kent, Motorhomes). I wouldn't say my tastes are very eclectic but I'm open to listening to just about anything. My fiancé, whose tastes are more mainstream, tries to keep me from being too much of a music snob. Currently living in Boston area.


4 comments:

  1. play count: 1
    rating : 1

    I wanted to rate this album 1.5 because I *did* get through the whole thing without switching it off, but since we're not allowed to go halfsies I had to choose up or down...and I just couldn't give it a 2 because I really didn't enjoy this album at all. As with 'Bad Vein' (which I commented on before this one) I didn't find anything interesting or unique about the music, and I guess that's what I look for in an album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. easily.

    though this was NOT a new-to-me album, but the second chance the Klub force me to take had me viewing it MUCH more favorably

    a few months ago when i heard that the Shins lead guy AND Danger Mouse were collaborating as Broken Bells, i was quick to DL it, expecting IMMEDIATE pure sonic delight. but as with all unrealistically hi-expectations, i was inevitably disappointed, and quickly discarded it from my rotation til jieun put it back in front of me.

    but now, after a few more go-rounds, i'm a fan. a solid 4. maybe even a 4.5 now that we're back on halfsies, but i need a few more listens)

    Broken Bells sounds WAY hipper than the Shins (thanks to Danger Mouse), but the album still has that folksy-feel i've come to love, naturally with a twist. i can bob my head and hum along, from one track to the next. great lounge/working music.

    the opening salvo, #1: "the high road" and #2: "vaporize" meld together like an anthem for something...depressing, or perhaps sinister? i LOVE the slowdown as the Shins guy starts softly speaking/singing at the end of #1

    #3 "your head is on fire" was VERY reminiscent of BLUR (another long-gone, personal favorite). perhaps DM's brief stint w/ the Gorillaz (fronted by ex-BLUR leader Damon Albarn) left a mark. i felt much the same about #5: "sailing to nowhere." there's a lesson in there for you kids, we could all do well with some Blur (or Blur-influence) in our musical diet.

    the closing 2 tracks were by far my favorites on the album. #10: "the waiting game" - by far my favorite track on the album (which is surprising for something this upbeat to be on the tail end of an album). i don't know why i liked this one so much, but it's likely to be coming to a mix-CD near you sometime soon. and #11: "the mall and the misery" made for a solid closer. these final 2 felt like a hipper version of the cure (and much less depressing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had 4 listens to the album so far and safe to say I like this better than average due to a few strong tracks, although there are definitely songs I don't care much for (a bit to repetitive and not quite melodic enough in some places, perhaps). Favorite tracks so far are "The High Road" and "October". Since we are now allowed "halfies", I can comfortably give this a 3.5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this album. Everything that Danger Mouse touches is gold, it seems. I'm curious though, if it'll became a sort of classic of this era (or year, really - music changes so fast these days, are things even defined by eras/decades anymore..? Maybe just seasons of each year. So in this case, "a classic of spring 2010"), or will it fade away fast? It's quirky, an interesting collaboration for sure, but is it game-changing? I'm not sure... Maybe need a few more listens. But on a basic level, I dig it.

    ReplyDelete