
Bob recommends Bad Veins- Bad Veins
DL Link: http://drop.io/BadVeins
Why I picked this album: I'm part of the ADD generation and now listen to things in bits and pieces quickly moving from one song to another, so this whole share and listen to an album challenge thing has me really thrown me for a loop and caused a change in my music listening habits (which is great). I've also re-kick started my Vinyl collection and wanted to share one of the first new LPs I purchased: Cincinnati's own- Bad Veins.
Favorite tracks:
Dry out
Warm and Gold
Falling out
Go Home
About the artist: (from their website badveins.net)
Bad Veins are a rarity in today’s musical landscape: An act who didn’t set out to become critical darlings or the next “buzz” band, but managed to achieve both after only playing a handful of shows. However, despite the fact that Bad Veins’ music has been instantly embraced since their inception in late 2006, the duo of Benjamin Davis and Sebastien Schultz decided not to rush out the disc you’re currently holding in your hand. The result is Bad Veins, an album that’s unique but familiar, and not only lives up to the hype but surpasses it. Looking back, it’s hard to believe it all started out a little over two years ago in a non-descript attic in Cincinnati, Ohio.
About me:
Music is very important to me, some call me a music snob, most just hate the music I listen to... To the point that I become very excited when I meet folks who have similar music tastes.
I grew up listening to Hall & Oates, Duran Duran and other 80s pop music. In high school I had a group of friends that made mixtapes for each other and I was introduced to 97x (woxy.com) and 90s alternative music- Pixies, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Afghan Whigs, etc.
So now about 95% of the music I listen to comes from www.WOXY.com an online radio station that moved from Oxford, Ohio to Cincinnati to Austin (and sadly now defunct).
My music tastes have since then been all over the place- Industrial, Shoegazer, Swedish music, BritPop, and Electroclash to name a few.
Top 5 artists:
Jane’s Addiction
Pixes
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy
Royksopp
Top 5 Albums
Doves – Last Broadcast
Beastie Boys – Check your head
Ministry – The Mind is a terrible thing to taste
Faith no More – Angel Dust
Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream
Top 5 guilty pleasures artists:
The Hacker & Miss Kittin
Tiga
Vitalic
Chemical Brothers
Fred Falke (or rather anything he remixes)
play count: 0.7
ReplyDeleterating: 1
I put this on when I was a bit aggitated (which was probably a bad idea), but I could only get as far as the 7th track before the same-ness of the songs and his annoying voice pushed me too far and I reached for the [stop] button. I didn't find anything interesting or unique about the music, nothing which challenged me to listen (such as previous entries The Avett Bros or Mulatu Astatke) - I was bored listening to yet another standard whiny band.
I thought long and hard about making a negative comment (if you've got nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all, right?). But a rating of '1' deserves at least some comment (sorry Bob!), and this club is about having an opinion :-)
Bad Veins is one of my favorite bands out of the Cincy scene (along with Wussy and Heartless Bastards) in the last few years. This album is a keeper.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to hear your perspective, Ben. You make a good point - BV's sound is not totally challenging. But to me, it's catchy and heartfelt. Not groundbreaking exactly, but solid listening.
bad veins
ReplyDelete3.5 - i enjoyed this album on the driveto and from La Guardia picking up a visiting friend to the city. naturally, i hit quite a few spots of traffic, and it's almost as if the album knew when to slow down to temper my road rage. weird.
it's almost a cross between the bravery and the stokes (2 consistently "good" bands in my book), ebbing and flowing from one to the other at times.
the opening anthem (#1: "found") did not prepare me for where the rest of the album was going, with a really quick pickup (foot on the accelerator!) on #2 "gold and warm", only to slow me back down (traffic...argh!!!) until #6: "falling tide." so minus a few solid "get up and go" tracks - the rest of the album is perfect for situations involving work, cruising/thinking on the road, staring out a window, showing a movie montage of the title character moving on with their life.
and i am now COMPLETELY caught up w/ musooklub. sweet!
This album was fun and upbeat to listen to. Maybe its me, but I felt lead singer sort of sounds like Nick Casablancas (I felt Crosseyed even had a Strokes feel to it).
ReplyDeleteI liked the instrumental parts of Found. I liked the slower songs - You Kill, The Lie, This Ending, Go Home. The last 2 songs were well placed at the ending.
Bad Veins was an album with ups and downs. A couple songs were good, "Gold and Warm" and "Falling Tide", but much of the rest of the album becamse repetitive probably because I didn't love the singer's somewhat droning and processed vocals.
ReplyDelete3 out 5.