After a 5 year hiatus we're getting the band back together. Though the amount of people that said they were back in was surprising....likey bc we are old and need new music now more than ever (we'll see who has what it takes to go the distance;)
Basically it is no surprise that I am a bit biased towards Weezer as they are one of my all-time favorite bands (I'm more like Matt Damon in the amazing SNL Weezer sketch you must all watch).
new albums still come out every 1-2 years and somehow it surprises folks with the usual eye-rolling and the tired "where have they been...i liked that one song/album"
While the band doesn't always hit it out of the park with the new stuff - they are still cranking, innovating and working hard 25+ years later, and sometimes release near gems...if you're willing to give it a try and let go of your past baggage (says the guy who went on the first Weezer cruise ;).
I have always loved front man River's OCD/curious approach to music making (check out the Wired article and/or Song Exploder podcast episode) - spreadsheets, databases, mirrors and all. Every album the band makes (which I still buy loyally) always has more than a few tracks that are great, though i will be he first to admit, it IS hard to make near perfect albums like their first two ("Blue" & "Pinkerton").
So I wasn't sure what to expect from "OK Human" (released in the midst of a pandemic, after delaying their arena touring album "Van Weezer"), but I was willing to give it a shot. I was surprised by the instrumental arrangements, and find myself humming more than a few tracks that I can never place during the day. It feels different, it feels catchy, it feels Weezer.
So this is a 5 out of 5, which I know you will all disagree with ;)
Welcome back to MusooKlub.

No comments:
Post a Comment