Monday, October 19, 2015

Jeff Buckley - Grace

I've returned from my 8 month hiatus from musooklub with my first pick (Top 5) with Jeff Buckley's Grace. It's been a staple in my music listening repertoire since my friend recommended in it high school.




Grace is technically his only debut album since his tragic death in 1997. I think his music has a very personal feel, very poignant and heartfelt.

I'll leave this post brief and leave you this radio interview except with his rendition of 'I Shall Be Released' as a little bit haunting and soulful:



The rest of his bio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxIbLf-7ig

A little bit about me ... I currently live in Cincinnati, where I work as a marketing analyst on things environmental for this corporation that makes jet engines. Since I returned to musooklub, I've been readjusting to life with 2 kids, and trying to get back to listening to some good music - although lately its been trying to catch up on some sleep =)

dl: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/35fqzd7ou5gcw03/AABj3fnbB19hyD7fUk6qNwuZa?dl=0

3 comments:

  1. Happy to have listened to Grace again.
    His cover of Hallelujah is definitely beautiful and arguably, better than L. Cohen's. Actually, at the opening dance at my wedding I played a medley version of Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright and Leonard Cohen's versions :)
    So, yes, his Hallelujah is great.

    The 2nd song I like the most is Lilac Wine, which I knew from Nina Simone : www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT38CIgRse4
    And I like Nina Simone's version better. After listening to his cover of the song, I found out that even John Legend and.... Miley Cirus had covered that song!

    But, I must say that I don't enjoy the rest of the album. He is too emotional for me... I am not sure if I make myself clear...

    So the grade is not easy! I'll think about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Nice to meet you, Jieun!
    2) I grew up in Cincinnati - hope you're enjoying it!
    3) Having never listened to Jeff Buckley other than the Hallelujah cover, I was excited to dive in here. I really enjoy his sound and all the emotion. Was also very surprised that my first reaction was noticing his vocal influence on the lead singer of Wild Beast - https://youtu.be/DwHoh2vNdiA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a clear 5 for me. One of the albums I listen to the most and one I consider a masterpiece. Hallelujah has been overplayed, I agree with that, however, all other songs are splendid (Lilac Wine, Lover, You should have come over, Grace, etc.).

    For movie lovers, I recommend "Greetings from Tim Buckley". While not an excellent movie, it provides good insight into his life and his relationship with his father - whom he never knew and died young of tragic death as well.

    ReplyDelete